Problem starting ford fiesta XR2i 1.6 8valve.

Hi

I have a problem with a ford fiesta XR2i, which is a 1600cc 8 valve CVH Efi model, 1991. It has a k &n induction kit, the engine is standard as far as I know. It has a alarm and immobiliser fitted but was fitted when I had the car so I don't know what make it is.

the problem is, that sometimes i can't start it from cold, or sometimes when its warmed up. Sometimes i can start it, if going out. But when i restart it to come home it wont start, and this is when the engine is still warm or not long been turned off and sometimes it won't start when its cold. The starter turns over ok, and battery is fully charged.

Sometimes, It will start after I put car in 1st gear and the starter drives the car forward and sometimes I have to do it in reverse gear. After i changed back to neutral sometimes it will start after doing the above, but not always.

I've checked the connectors in the engine bay for all sensors, but everything looks ok, the spark plugs aren't wetted either, and have the brown looks that mean the engines in good condition. No smoke comes from exhaust at all.

I thought at first it may be the fuel pump, but I don't even know where it is to check. Then i thought it may have been an immobiliser problem, but thats working ok.

Any answers are most welcome. thanks for your time.

Steve

Reply to
SegaDude

When you first turn the ignition key the fuel pump should activate for 5 seconds to pressurise the system.You can easily hear it buzzing if it's working. If you can't hear it you have your answer. The pump is in the tank AFAIK.

If the pump is working you need to crank the engine and check for a spark at the plug leads.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Could be a faulty one way valve in the pump (or) fuel line. If its not working, the pressure thats meant to be held in the fuel system overnight won't be there .... or maybe its seeping allowing the pressure to fade away over several days (or even allowing air to get in via the return line).

That would cause the poor starting sometimes when cold. As for hot ... you need a bit of residual pressure in the fuel system to prevent fuel vapour from sitting in the fuel rail just over the hot bits (engine). No pressure = no liquid fuel = wierd starting.

Check fuel pump fuses/relays as well .... think of age related corrosion on fuse/relay terminals. If its anything like my old 520i, if the fuse feeding the fuel pump fails, it will start as there is a line from the start position directly to the fuel pump, but as soon as you let go of the key the fuel pump feed goes via the (faulty) fuse. So it will start, then stall when you let go of the key.

Reply to
FEo2 Welder

Just IME...

I had a 91 Orion with the 1.6 CVH. It did this.

It was the battery and/or the starter.

What happens is that the starter pulls the battery voltage _really_ down. This means that the ECU or injectors won't fire up properly. This is (from what I've heard) a very common problem on the CVH EFI engined Fords.

It means that the engine doesn't get spark and/or fuel.

This is even though the starter was turning OK.

I had a _total_ nightmare of a time until I replaced the starter, and then it behaved (virtually) impeccably.

HTH

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Thanks all for the advise. I'll save it all to my pc for future reference.

Pete was right, it was the fuel pump, I managed to locate the fuel pump under neath the back seats (strange place for a pump), and wiggled the connectors about, and when I turned the key, I could then hear it buzz, as it didn't do this before.

I'll leave the back seat off for a while just in case i have to wiggle it about again.

Thanks for advise.

Steve

Reply to
SegaDude

Check for a spark the next time it does it. If there isn't one take the crank shaft position sensor out (connected near the front of the gearbox) and clean it.

I had the same on my fiesta

Reply to
David Cawkwell