Problem with Escort CO2 Emissions

Hello People,

Hope Someone can help?

Just had my Escort 1.4i CVH 1994 with about 105,000 on the clock, in for MOT suprisingly it flew through with only a Ball Join & CO2 Emissions. (Co2 was

12.63, and i think hadro carbons were 694)

Checked and cannot get my CO2 down. Had my CAT and Lambda senson checked and there ok.

Been to Ford who quoted me 8 hours of labour time to look at it.

Anybody got any Ideas what this could be?

Im gonna check the Compression but i think that will be fine (Checked at

96,000 and was ok).

Its had an oil change and air filter etc etc. I`ve cleaned all the pipes and brether system out.

Thanks for any help in advance

Ta Si

Reply to
Simon Green

Are we talking CO here or CO2 ??? Perhaps best to post all the figures on your printout.

Regards, Graham L

Graham

Deffo the Co2 Emmissions. I ain`t got much on the print out - other than the Co2 and Hadro Carbons. They abandond the test coz it wasn`t worth carring on, or so they told me.

Reply to
Simon Green

As Graham points out, carbon dioxide (CO2) isn't part of the test. The catalyst is supposed to convert all the exhaust gases into CO2 and water anyway. Maximums are: carbon monoxide (CO) 0.30% at fast idle and 0.50% at natural idle, HC (hydrocarbons): 200ppm, and the Lambda value (which represents air/fuel ratio) range is 0.97-1.03. After 105,000 miles, I would suspect the catalyser. Do you have a copy of last years test results for comparison?

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Sorry i spoke to the garage and it was the CO. They gave me the wrong info at the start. Apparentyly the kid who told me was a NVQ student.

I ain`t got last years results as i boughtthe car in January.

Cheers for your help so far Si

Reply to
Simon Green

Si

How can they possibly say the o2 sensor is working with a tailpipe CO of

12%?!?!?!?!?! The o2 sensor hasnt a hope in hell of switching with a mixture that rich- it should be giving a go lean signal all the time!!!

Was the car warmed up properly? Is the thermostat allowing it to reach 95 degrees? If the engine isnt hot enough you;re wasting your time going any further.

Is this the later PTE engine or the early CFi???

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Indeed, tho the sensor could be working and stuck giving 1volt, if for example the map sensor was faulty. There again if the garage didn't know the difference between CO and CO2 then...............

Running at this mixture I would think the sensor and cat will be well clogged up by now anyway

He said its a 1994 so I guess its the CVH

Regards, Graham L

Graham

its a 94, belive cvh, it got the weber carb on with single point injection

cheers Si

Reply to
Simon Green

Just another thought aswell, over the past few months its been guzzeling fuel, can do about 300miles on a full tank.

Thought that was due to the Trottle positioning sensor but thats a new one.

Reply to
Simon Green

Before doing anything difficult & expensive I'd just take it out and give it around 4000 rpm for half an hour : gets the CAT and lambda nice and hot. Then get it tested ASAP. Worked on my Omegs a treat (130K, original CATs) e.g. CO down from 0.30 to 0.08.

Reply to
airsmoothed

You can't have a carb and single point injection. Right so its a late registered 93 car or something with the CFi engine.

Back to my original post, is it achiveing running temperature? If so then first point of call is the CTS and ATS readings.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Im sure u will find if u give the 4 lambda wires a tug individualy at the sensor, most if not all will break away from it, as this is common fault with this model the wires corrode internally within the body of the sensor.Also the 1 volt will becoming from the EEC IV MODULE and does not necesarily mean that there is wire continuity to the sensor. Buy another lambda sensor from ford and im sure u will find that will cure the CO problem unleast until the cat collapses and it will not accelerate above 2500revs

sandy

Reply to
sandy

Sandy with all due respect a failed sensor and / or wiring will not generate

12% CO at the tailpipe. 3 or 4% yes, but the ECU isnt programmed to fuel this much from its base map running open loop.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

tail pipe without putting the system in to default mode. At the end of the day emissions is controlled by the lambda after 90 secs or so, regardless of cts, tps,etc and ive never seen fuel pressure to be at fault.

Reply to
sandy

Nope, the lambda sensor acts more like a final trim. CTS, TPS, MAP sensors etc will all over ride the Lambda sensor signal. Fuel pressure is fairly critical on the Ford CFI. 1/10 of a bar can make a mega difference to the fuelling.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

simon have u tried disconnecting the lambda sensor to see if it lowers the co???

Reply to
sandy

hi thanks to everyone that has helped, i`ve eventually found the problem that even FORD couldn`t find. I removed the heat sheild from my Exhaust manifold and founf a crack on it, I find it amazing that ford wanted to charge me nearly £250 to tell me that.

Thanks again to everyone. Si

Reply to
Simon Green