Problems changing Oil filter

First car, first time changing the oil (+ filter) and all that...

So I've done everything the Haynes manual says, no problems, until I get to the oil filter. I've got my oil filter removal tool (chain type) but I simply can't unscrew the oil filter, it's very tight. Yes, I'm unscrewing it the right way!

What do you do, if you encounter a stubborn oil filter?

I started off gently then as it wasn't coming off, kept applying more pressure, right up until the filter started bending and the plastic handle flew off the removal tool (exposing the jagged metal, and leaving me with a nice finger cut, thanks Draper)

Off to get a better (+ more expensive :( ) removal tool tomorrow, see if that works, but any tips?

Reply to
Spencer

You could try a different type of clamp, I find the chain type a pain in the rear, use a triple claw type which you fit over the filter body and undo with a socket wrench; it tightens the jaws on the body as you undo it. Cost me about £10, could also bang a screwdriver through the body and twist but that can get messy and rip apart the filter casing. Outside possibility that the thread is a reverse thread ??

Reply to
Hirsty's

I use a similar tool to your chain type, but it has a 1" steel band instead of the chain, hence less likely to collapse to filter. The brute force method is to hammer a large screwdriver through the filter, but this depends on space around the filter.

The filter should never get stuck, the old trick is to smear some oil around the rubber seal before fitting. Then don't use more torque than necessary to get it oil tight.

Reply to
Johannes

The message from "Spencer" contains these words:

I've had 'em so tight[1] that I've had to use a cold chisel on the rim of the can, cutting a notch then tapping it round with steady firm blows.

[1] Never on one I've fitted 'cos I don't gorilla them on. Between a quarter and a half turn from when the seal touches the mating face.
Reply to
Guy King

Hammer a screwdriver through it to make a T bar. If the filter metal tears when you try to turn it, hammer another one to give extra leverage. But I've never known one this tight

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

I have - on my VFR. I fitted the old one, doing everything correctly, and it was still way too tight for some reason.

It was torn to shreds by the time I got it off, leaving me with some nicely infected cuts on my fingers.

What I found worked was to use a combination of a handful of different tools at the various stages of loosening.

Reply to
SteveH

"Johannes" wrote

Spot on. As a general rule if you aren't sure, I would say to tighten an oil filter with thumb and forefinger only, not a cupped fist.

Before attempting to loosen an old filter, tap it with a hammer, several times, as this helps break the seal.

And use the removal tool as near to the base of the filter as poss.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

The other trick that can work sometimes is to try and *tighten* it a touch first. It breaks the seal and makes it shift abck that bit easier.

Works even better on painted over woodscrews in old door hinges etc.

Reply to
PC Paul

Me too on my XJ600 Divvy. I had to use a screwdriver and mallet to drive the filter round. And the bloody shop I bought it from said they'd serviced it.

Reply to
Malc

When installing a new filter, always make sure the seal between filter and housing is off too. I recently removed an oil filter, and 2 seals came off with it. Some further reading found cases of engine damage when failure of a "doubled-up seal" wasn't detected quickly enough.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

: What do you do, if you encounter a stubborn oil filter?

I'd hammer a foot long screwdriver straight throught the bastard and twist. Never fails.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Always rub a smear of oil onto the new filter rubber seal to prevent such problems again

Reply to
Hirsty's

After that, MoleGrip the bastard off in chunks. If it does fail.

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

It does if there's an important bit of engine casting poking up into the middle of it.

DAMHIKIJDOK.

Reply to
SteveH

In 40 years, I have never installed a filter without doing that. Checking is the only reliable prevention.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

: Ian Johnston wrote: : : > On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 18:08:16 UTC, "Spencer" : > wrote: : > : > : What do you do, if you encounter a stubborn oil filter? : > : > I'd hammer a foot long screwdriver straight throught the bastard and : > twist. Never fails. : : It does if there's an important bit of engine casting poking up into the : middle of it.

I didn't say it would only get the filter off.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

unscrewing

================ Just check that it's not the old-fashioned type as fitted to old Minis etc. Steel container with an internal cartridge and a retaining bolt in bottom centre. Very remote possibility but since make and age of of car aren't mentioned it's worth a check.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I got a tool in one of the cheap shit shops, superbuys or whatever, and it's like a pair of pliers with *BIG* curved jaws with teeth on the inside of the curves. It closes up small enough for a tiny filter, and opens wide enough (just) to do the big can on the Ford Cargo. It's way better than it should be for £1.99. You need a bit of room round the filter though.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The message from John Henderson contains these words:

Particularly since the instructions on the side of the filter tell you to!

Reply to
Guy King

Who reads instructions ??

Reply to