Programming new key fob

I've bought a replacement key fob for my Renault Scenic and need to get it coded up to match the car. Apparently, there is a way to do it without going to Renault and pay them =A365 for the privilege. Does anyone know how to do it?

I still have the original key fob and this is working fine- the replacement was bought simply because the casing on the original is damaged and I'm not sure how long it will last.

Thanks in advance for any help.

CK

Reply to
CK

I still have the original key fob and this is working fine- the replacement was bought simply because the casing on the original is damaged and I'm not sure how long it will last.

Thanks in advance for any help.

CK

radio or infra red

Reply to
Mindwipe

The original is infra-red and the replacement is radio.

I was assured that they were both compatible...............although I'm not too sure now.

Reply to
CK

they aint!! one or other receiver is near interior light usually the aerial is loose/unsealed and water gets onto circuit board

Reply to
Mindwipe

Bugger!!!!!!!

Oh well, put the radio one back on Ebay and look for an infra-red one instead.

How do I code up an infra-red key fob then?

Reply to
CK

i can see 2 opions here

1) try and open up the remote(if this can be done)and swap over the electronic bit you did say that just the casing was broke.

2)proggramme the new one with fords its just ign off and on 5 times and press any button,im guessing renault must be something similar (dont know exacatly though)

Reply to
ford_technical_

Firstly you need to pop off the top and on the circuit board should be a sticker with a number on just above where the switch is on the circuit that you press.

If there isn't one there, or its a 7 number code it needs to be programmed by diagnostic equipment. A 5 number code doesn't need programming.

So...

Ensure ignition is switched OFF Press Vehicle Central Door Lock button for more than 5 seconds. Door should lock then unlock. Within 10-15 seconds: Press first key lock/unlock button twice (on some models) Press second key lock/unlock button twice (on some models)

Doors will then lock or unlock.

Also: No code is transponder and radio

5,6,7 digit codes are infrared. 8 digit codes are transponder and infrared or RF
Reply to
Conor