Prop shaft rebuilding

I have a very short modified prop shaft from a Ford Capri that the UJ's have gone but the caps are welded in. Some time ago I heard of a company that can machine these old caps out and machine a circlip groove in so that you can replace them yourself when they go next time but I can't find any companies that do this service so does anyone out their know, preferably in the Hertfordshire area but it is so short that sending in by post will not be much of a problem.

Tony,

Reply to
Tony Bartels

I'm sure that the guys at "Recoprop" in Luton will know. Excellent firm. Helped me out with my special prop I built for a trike. JB

Reply to
JB

John, you know a while back you mentioned you might be able to use a Carlton diff for your trike? Well I've still got one sitting in the garden (covered up), taken off a G reg 2 litre Estate to use on my TD one. Free if you can collect it and make use of it. Well, yours for nowt even if you don't make use of it :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Nah, it wasn't the diff. It was the driveshafts. I made the trike's one out of a shortened Carlton one with a modified splined nose and additional carrier support bearing. A bastard of a job it was too, although finally successful. I reckon you'd be best just putting it in TradeIt. cheers anyway. JB

Reply to
JB

"Tony Bartels" wrote in messa= ge news:cbsg6q$t9h$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...

"South Wales Propshafts" Unit 1 & 2, Edwin Street Newport, Gwent South Wales, NP20 5JJ Tel 01633 256067/263400

Good service, with knowledgeable staff. They made a new custom propshaft for my Marlin Berlinetta which was ready only after 3 days. =A3145 excluding VAT. It is a well made prop, computer aided welding with strong UJ's with the ability to fit a grease nipple, and circlips to ease future repair. They will machine your old caps out and modify if you wish, but a whole new shaft won't cost much more. This engineer and other outlets often have their workshops in Birmingham (possible its the same manufacturer). I was told this was because the works, tooling base and skill for the making of shafts (any shafts in engineering) are the remnants of Birmingham weapons industry, (large gun barrels etc).

Reply to
ubberbuttons