Proton Satria fuel gauge

Hi, I've got a 2003 Proton Satria 1.3 with a badly erratic fuel gauge. Wife says it has a mind of its own (exactly what that might mean I don't know - don't know it the level it shows is all over the place, or whether sometimes it reads OK and other times sits at zero - need to find out).

I know from the receipts I have that the problem isn't new and fixes have been attempted before (not sure what) but not worked. I don't have a Haynes for it (don't think one exists) or a wiring diagram (anyone know where I might get one, or even a full maintenance manual?) and I've never messed with fuel gauges before so I don't know how it might all hang together, so it's a bit difficult to know where to start. However I have got a decent background in electrics. I think I've found the fuel sensor, under the rear passenger seats. Not sure whether it's a resistive sensor or what so not sure how to start testing it.

Any suggestions for progressing this gratefully received.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

PS Just a dummy's guide to how fuel sender/gauge systems generally work would be useful.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Any help?

Chris