Pug 306 1998 - Radio stopped working

In our 1998 Peugeot 306 the original radio seems to be playing up.

This morning I turned on the ignition and the radio display came on (showing the RDS info of the channel it was tuned to) - however no audio came out. I tried turning the audio up using the stalk control and nothing happened - tried the controls on the radio - nothing either.

I then pressed the power button and it turned the radio/display off. Attempting to turn it back on again did nothing (the display doesn't come on). When turning the ignition off, the security LED on the radio starts flashing (as normal).

The weather has been quite hot recently (last few days/week) but up until now it's been working fine. The only thing I've noticed in the last month or so is that sometimes, when using the stalk to adjust the volume, it seems to stick and the volume keeps going down to 0. A waggle of the stick and it works again. I've tried waggling the stick this time and still the radio seems to refuse to turn on.

Any ideas? I doubt it's a fuse problem (as the display worked fine until I turned it off, yet the controls didn't - so power was getting to the radio whilst it was having a problem). Should I try disconnecting the power and see what happens? I should have the radio code - the dealer looked it up and wrote it on a card when I pointed out to them that they failed to provide it when we bought the card (2nd hand). However, that was in 2001 or so, and I've never yet had need to use this code - so until I know it works, I'm a little loathed to disconnect the radio - just in case they didn't get the right details!

Thanks

David Hearn

Okay, this was a long time ago (over a year), but I finally fixed the problem, so I thought it would be worth posting this to help others who may have had this problem.

I took the top and bottom covers off the radio and couldn't see anything obviously wrong. I noticed the front panel was held on with 4 screws and the panel had a small PCB on it. I removed the screws and removed the front panel. When I did this, I noticed there were 2 connectors which plugged onto the main PCB of the radio. One of these connectors appeared very slightly wonky and on close inspection, I noticed that one side of the connector had become detached. There are 4 pads on each side and all 4 on one side had become detatched, allowing it to flex and move (and lose continuity).

I easily re-soldered them and tried it out and radio worked perfectly. All seems to be related to the front panel connector.

Hope it might help someone in the future.

David Hearn

David Hearn wrote: :: :: I easily re-soldered them and tried it out and radio worked :: perfectly. All seems to be related to the front panel connector. :: :: Hope it might help someone in the future. :: :: D

Thanks for that David,

I haven't got one of those radios but it's a common problem, especially in a vibratory environment with high temperature swings, like a car.

I can't count how many times I've Googled for a problem I've had and found people with exactly the same problem but no resolution at the end of it.. so at least this won't be a thread that does that!

Reply to
PC Paul