Pug 306 - Battery light flickers but only on v.cold start

Hi

I have a N- Pug 306 DT

When I start the car as soon as the engine fires the battery light on the dash goes from normally lit to a dim flickering lit, until it finally goes out. None of the other controls are affected.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?

More Details Below:

I just got the battery repaced and the old one was damaged probably by this fault.

The car starts fine, and the fualt occurs at the point of starting cylindars for somewhere between 10 seconds and 5 minutes. I thought it might be the preheat relay, but I would have thought the preheat light would also come on and flicker if this was faulty.

What is also puzzling is that it only does it first thing in the morning. I can leave the car at work and start it at the end of the day, again cold and it is fine. This happens regularly for a couple of weeks now.

I am wondering weather it has anything to do with the glow plugs. When I had them changed 18 months ago, the left most one (behind the fuel injector) was showing signs of an electrical fault. The car always starts ok, so I'm assuming that this isn;t the cause.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Austin

Reply to
Austin

If your fan belt is ok then your alternator's probably on the way out. The glowplugs draw a lot of current, so the alternator can't put out enough.

John

Reply to
John