Pug 306 creak when applying footbrake

Our S reg Pug 306 has started creaking when the footbrake is applied. It appears to do this irrespective of whether its in gear or out of gear and speed (doesn't need to stop to make the creak). Its a short creak (shorter than it takes to say 'creak') and only happens after movement, ie. move (1m on the drive for example), press brake and it creaks. Re-press brake (stationary or even if not didn't stop) and it doesn't do it. Accelerate slightly (ie. enough to move 1m on the drive) and reapply brake and it creaks again. This is at a crawling pace, or at 30mph.

It sounds as if its coming from the other side of the pedals, inside the engine compartment though I can't be completely sure.

We've never noticed it before, and it appears to be consistent now.

Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks

David Hearn

You may find that it's a transmitted noise from the pads/shoes themselves. I had a similar problem with the rear brakes on a Renault Savannah, which were drums. The shoes moved on the backplate and graunched slightly and surprisingly this noise could be heard inside the car and sounded like the pedal requiring lubrication.

The fact that it only happens after the car has been moved, and then only once, lends credence to this theory, because the pads/shoes will not move much on the second application until they have been pushed out again by the rotating discs/drums.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

Also, I've noticed that it actually happens when moving off as well as applying the brake.

I did wonder whether it was related to the rear brakes. To be honest, I've no idea how worn they are. The front pads were done a year or so ago, but the rear ones were okay at the time. I think it may be wise to take a look at them and see if they're coming to the end of their life.

Something I did notice at the same time, which I'd not noticed before (quite possible that it pre-existed) was when you apply the handbrake and then pull a little harder (once its applied) I noticed a twang sound, like when you pull a piece of string taught quickly. It was this which made me wonder about the brakes in the first place.

David Hearn

I think it may be wise to take a look

Sure.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

Recycle it. You could use the doors as a wind break on beach holidays.

I had a diesel Pug 306 and a big roundy thing from the engine fell out on the road when I was 400 miles from home on holiday. So I sold the damn thing to a breaker. I got £300, I was quite please as a week earlier car dealer offered me only £250 as a trade in against a new car with the car working OK!

Best thing to do is drive it over a cliff and by a ford or something else.

Reply to
Deadly

when were the brakes checked last? please drive safely don't put others at risk. Bill

Reply to
Bill

The brakes on the 306 are designed with safety in mind. They may have an official name, but the common name is "son of a bitch! There's nothing there!" The idea behind them is that the first time you actually need to stop in a hurry, you do so. But only a gnat's nadger away from the thing you were trying not to hit. After that, you stay the correct distance behind things that you were always supposed to. (Says the person who went from a Citron BX which had brakes that stopped effectively as if one had hit a wall)

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Saul

After a long test drive with someone from our local garage, they think that it may be the engine mounts or something similar. They're going to take a look at it properly on Friday.

Thanks for all the advice

David Hearn