Pug 405 bizarre radiator pipe fittings?

I've recently aquired an old Pug 405 1.9 TD (1992) which looks like it's got a new radiator. I've had to replace the lower rad pipe because it was rubbing on the drive shaft for the wheel on that side (nice design!) and sprung a leak.

Anyway, the radiator fitting has me baffled. I don't know if this is a standard fitting or not, but it's got me stuck: where the pipes join the rad, there is a fitting on the end of the pipe with a plastic shell with three prongs that twist-lock into the fitting on the radiator. There is a bit of stainless steel inside the end of the pipe that looks like it's press fitted tightly inside the plastic shell.

Anyway, is it possible to get hold of these fittings and can they be applied to the end of the pipe DIY, or is a special press/tool needed?

I need to drive the car around, so I've cut off the fitting and left a bit of pipe sticking out, and put the flange of my new pipe over it with a jubilee clip and lots of silicon sealant. Not overly happy with how long it'll survive like that without dumping water onto the road. (Anyone done this?)

I've spent the last three hours cursing french cars and getting covered in oil while fitting the pipe in the confines of the engine bay. The car seems designed with one thing in mind - to annoy me! The sprung hose clip at the block end appears to be designed to stay just a little bit wider than any of my pliers will open, and to be positioned in a place where pliars cannot be manouvered.

Why oh why did I buy another French car? :P

One day I'll learn.

Tony

Reply to
tony.jackson

The 'clamp' will come already attached to the new pipe when you buy it.

Reply to
NT

The 'clamp' will come already attached to the new pipe when you buy it.

Reply to
NT

Ah, I have an aftermarket pipe - I guess that explains that one then. :(

Reply to
tony.jackson

Right you are - been to Peugeot and spent =A325 (ouch) on a pipe, and it did come with a clamp. My =A313 after-market one didn't.

Thanks for the advice!

Reply to
tony.jackson