pug 405 questions/probs

ive just got a Mreg (95) 405 td estate and know sod all about it, yeah at last i can get rid of my rust bucket erm i mean lovely ford escort (17yrs old and still gets 40+ mpg) but theres a few things ive noticed that dont seem right.

the lights are rubbish. low beam the dash lights up but outside u can hardly tell the lights are on and for main beam its weak. My old escort seems brighter on low beam then the 405 is on main. (the high beam works fine). is this just the lights bulbs need replacing or sounds like something more serious?? also driving it the other night the head lights flickered a bit and the lights illuminating the dash ( right hand side of the dials) dimmed and came back on!!!

the central locking doesn;t work properly, it locks but doesnt unlock the right hand side doors all the time. ive been told this is a common problem (the back lock jamming) and to live with it cos its expensive to take all the locks and motors apart to fix, does anyone know any different????

There is an anoying clicking noise from behind the dash roughly where the glove box is. If the heating is set on recirculation, the clicking stops but put it back on out side air and in less then a minute it starts any ideas??? more importantly any solutions??? it was driving me mad till i worked out how to stop it cos theres no radio yet.

last but no means least new keys. ive had a little accident and now ive only got one left and thats not in a very good shape (slightly bent and the blipper case is cracked and broken). Is it case of going to my local pug dealer and selling my kidneys or is there some where cheaper?? (it has remote central locking and alarm off the blipper)

cheers in advance simon

ps dont worry the cam belt, oil+ filter, fuel filer, coolant, air filter and glow plugs are getting changed very very soon well it is second hand with limited history.

Reply to
cavemansi

Probably, they're not particularly bad. Try the new bulb & measure the voltage at it when it's on, the other possibilty is loose/corroded joints

Ahh, start with the battery & work outwards checking the connection s for loosenes/corrosion.

Depends on whether you think dismantling the doors is more grief than the central locking sticking, personally I'd fix it

No idea

You can get them from aftermarket key shops

Reply to
Duncan Wood

ive found out a few things but still need a little help b4 i tackle this nice new proper car the lights new bulbs and check the front earth (apprentley it does go a lot on this car)

the central locking can be a pig to sort but if uve got the time its ok, but its no big problem to live with, hints tips???

anoying click thing could be the polllen filter???? needs changeing as there not enuff air getting in and hence the clicking noise (sounds about right???) had a look at this yesterday had a route round under the glove box and now the heater fan doesnt work Opps!!!!!!!!!! hope it just a loose connection

anypointers really welcome, im that desperate i even bought the haines manuel for the car!!!!!!

cheers si

"Of course i want seconds stop wasting time and put it on my plate"

Reply to
cavemansi

The fan is behind the glove box. Pull down the carpet stuff and you'll see it. The clicking tends to be the different speeds. I think that they're controlled by relays. The wires that go into the main connector are a known weakness. Knock them and it all stops. The pollen filter is under the black plastic cover behind the battery under the screen. The doors are easy to rip to bits. I've done it sooooooo many times now. The key plastics are over £40!! I just keep my eyes open when I'm in the scrapyards and transfer the internals. It's only 1 screw. They are quite good cars with a few designed in problems. Watch the nearside rear wheel. If it looks like it's leaning over slightly get the rear arm bearings changed. If you don't you'll need a new beam and they are hassle and expensive. Far cheaper just to do it now and make sure that there's plenty of grease in them. I think there was a shortage in world supply whilst these cars were built.

Reply to
yeha

Try some WD40 both on all locks and inside lock buttons. Push the internal lock buttons up and down a few times. Use the key on driver and passenger locks a few times.

Repeat

This may fix the problem.

I would do this on the boot lock as well - a lot of locks seize up because we use central locking all the time.

I have an eleven year old peugeot with 2 sets of keys - passenger side door changed because of lack of manual lock/unlock

Reply to
me