Pug 406 cooling fan problem

Pug 406 2.0 petrol 16V with aircon.I've had a couple of instances recently where the engine's got rather hotter than normal when sitting in traffic or pootling round Bristol's hills looking for a parking space. When doing the service I removed a load of what looked like a mouse nest combined with feathers from between the two radiators which may well help. But after refilling the cooling system I tested out the fans and only one comes on when the temperature gets over 90.

The Haynes BoL is next to useless in this case and only shows a "typical" circuit for the twin fan car and crucially doesn't show the version with aircon which is slightly different from the standard version. The second fan appears to be connected and when the engine is running you can spin the second fan and this seems to trigger the first into action for a few seconds. Does the second fan come on at a different temperature? The aircon does work although it does need a recharge.

Reply to
malc

Change the bitron.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Will that kick the second fan into life? I was under the impression that with the aircon on one fan should run more or less continually.

Reply to
malc

Yes, but it is still controlled via the bitron.

Also check the wiring under the battery tray.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks. I've just got one out of a scrap car. Any idea what the resistance should be? This one varies and is about 2k2 ohms at 100C

Reply to
malc