pug expert brake servo problem

My works van is a 55 plate pug expert with 75k miles on the clock. Our fitter recently replaced the brake pads but since then the servo assistance has become erratic. He says he forced the pistons back with some difficulty, when I've had that problem with pistons that don't require screwing back in I've bled fluid off at the nipple.

A quick google suggested that the master cylinder seal lip coul become damaged by doing this.

The symptoms point to failed servo but I cannot see how this would get damaged and wonder about the coincidence with the pad change.

There is a good suck from the pump. The brake works normally on first push but then the pedal pushes back and if pumped again the brake feels hard and with little retarding effect, much like after a stall when vacuum is lost.

After playing with it a while I found with the footbrake applied and the engine stopped there was no noticeable movement of the pedal as the engine started.

I thing replacing the servo is an engine out job so to be avoided if unnecessary.

Any other thoughts?

AJH

Reply to
andrew

first check that you actually have a working vacuum pump.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

yep thats why we open the blead nipples its very possible to damage the master cylinder on the citroens same van and yes the servo is engine out :(

Reply to
Redstar

I am always surprised when I see garages still just winding pistons back without clamping the hose and releasing the bleed nipple. It has been 'best practice' on everything for at least twenty years.

In the ops case if it is just the master, then I would expect that could be changed without engine removal? either way it should be sorted by the garage that did it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yes master cylinder is easier :)

Reply to