Puncture repair anfter Tyreweld sealant used

I have just been to try and get a puncture repaired on my Lotus Elise (no spare tyre, you see!). My local tyre and exhaust centre say that they cannot legally repair a tyre after Tyreweld sealant has been used. Their argument is that, even if they can see a big nail stuck in the tyre (which is what I have), they cannot guarantee that the sealant has temporarily fixed a second invisible puncture.

Are they telling me a c*ck and bull story to try and sell me a new tyre? If they are right then I am annoyed that Lotus supply a can of Tyreweld and don't want you that using it effectively condemns the tyre.

Has anyone else managed to get a puncture repaired recently after using emergency sealant?

Reply to
RichardC

A lot of places wont touch them because it's particularly unpleasant job getting all the goo out and unlikely to turn a profit.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

I have had exactly the same problem with halfords sealant.On the tin it says that the tyre is repairable and the product shouldnt cause any harm.The tyre guy says no way which i think is totally sales talk. There isnt loads of goo after using this stuff just a thin skin around the isnside and since they abrade this with their power tools it must be clean. Last time i just left the tyre in place ..never leaked..In the old days you could buy a kit containing rubber solution and a large screwdriver tool with which you inserted a worm of rubber that welded itself in place.Fine for nail holes etc.

A ndy

Reply to
Capt T