Punto mk2 heater fan

Hi Heater fan doesn't work, unplugged it, multimeter shows voltage across the terminals, on all fan switch speed settings including the ones that go through the resistor. Assumed fan was duff, but got another one which definitely works, and get the same thing. any advice much appreciated, I may be missing the obvious!!!!

cheers Sam

Reply to
sammoseley

Check the condition of the terminals and for voltage in the plug at the fan end. Also, does it use the body as an earth? Could need the earth point cleaning up if that's the case.

Reply to
Conor

Thanks, the terminals look ok and I get a voltage (about 10V ish) at the fan end. Not sure where its earthed as the wire disappears somewhere, but if it was an earth fault wouldn't that mean I wouldn't get a voltage off it? not sure if the fan uses a relay, but i've checked every relay in the passenger fuse compartment and the engine fuse compartment and no joy i can also rule out the resistor which controls the speed as the fastest speed should work without it, but it doesn't

Reply to
sammoseley

It depends on what you attached the other meter probe to.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

meter probes both stuck into the connector - not anywhere else

Reply to
sammoseley

You should be able to get 13.8V on full. Plug the fan in & meter from the back of the connecter & check there is no voltage between Gnd on the fan & the chassis.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Hi plugged the fan in and meter on the back, get no voltage between either terminal and the chassis, and also no voltage between the 2 terminals thanks

Reply to
sammoseley

There's a hogh resistance joint between the resistor pack/switch & the live feed then, check at the back of the switch with it on first, if the there's 12V there it's the resistor pack, otherwise it's probably at the fusebox.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thanks Duncan, I'll check this tomorrow. So you reckon this reduced voltage/high resistance is enough to make the fan not come on at all? Doesn't even twitch when you turn it on.By high-resistance joint I guess you mean something like dirty contacts?

Reply to
sammoseley

Reply to
Duncan Wood

You'll still see voltage on the resistor terminals when they're dead if there's no load connected.

Reply to
Duncan Wood