Question about gasoline

Hello,

I have noticed around my area there is a substantial difference between two gas stations.

The first is independently owned while the second is one of the more well known companies, Exxon. The price of premium grade gasoline at the Independent station is $2.82 while the price of regular at the Exxon is $2.85.

Why is there a big discrepency between the pricing? Is the type of gasoline different between the two stations?

Reply to
Neil

Here's a hint.... *uk* in uk.rec.cars.maintenance is for the United Kingdom, not some back of beyond redneck county in the US.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

Well, I wouldn't called it a big discrepancy. The only differences are that the exxon fuel may have different detergents in them and also there is a possibility that the exxon store will have to pay some sort of site fee to exxon (if it works over there as it does here in the UK) so this may explain the price difference.

What sort of state is the independant station in? Has it had a major refit lately to make it look all cutting edge and modern? Chances are that the exxon one has and has to recoup this money, or if it hasn't, a refit may be on the way.

Lastly, the stations may jusy be charging what they can get away with.

Which do you use? Personally I'd go for the cheapest.

Cheers.

Reply to
conkersack

Hello,

I have noticed around this Earth place there is a substantial difference between the "UK" and the "USA".

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Is this for a litre or a gallon (imperial)? ;-)

Reply to
Stuart Gray

How's about $6.70 a US gallon? That's what we pay here in the good old UK ripoff Britain. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Who is Exxon? Can't say I've seen them. Actually, what's a gas station? Is that where you buy LPG cylinders?

Reply to
Conor

US trading arm of Exxonmobil. They are a semi-successful oil company. In Canada and Europe they are known as Esso. Surely you've heard of them?

It's the North American term for a petrol station. You see, in North America, Petrol is known as gasoline, and commonly contracted to gas. You are probably more familiar with the term Petrol, a contaction of Petroleum spirit, an older name for gasoline.

Yes, you can buy LPG cyliders at gas statins in North America.

Why why why why why why why do tedious although knowledgable people like you, and Astravanman, and SteveH all try to take the high ground with outsiders? It's quite sad. Although I suppose it fits in nicely with George W's attitudes. Maybe you are agents of his? woo, mysteriousness.

Come on fellas, this guy asked a question, a rather innocuous question at that and all you did was mither him. What a mega use of your time.

Just go easy on folks like this and don't turn into the people you berate others for being.

Reply to
conkersack

with George W's attitudes. Maybe you are agents of his? woo,

WTF's this got to do with Bush? We're from the UK, pointing out that this is a UK group. We did him a favour in the long term.

Would you rather it if we just had one newsgroup to do with cars that covered the whole world? The whole point of it being a UK group is that it's for the UK. He'll get a more informed answer in a US-based group.

Well, I'm really nice like that.

Nope, I won't, thanks very much.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

He asked a general question about petrol, would it have taken more effort for you to answer that than to point out that he's a seppo and therefore isn't welcome in a UK group? If so, fair enough.

Thank christ the Yanks aren't that parochial in their newsgroups. They let their politicians perform that duty, hence the Bush analogy. Sorry I made something not straight forward enough for you.

Reply to
conkersack

Because anyone stupid enough to ask a merkin-centric question in a UK newsgroup is just begging to have the piss ripped out of them.

Clue: It's a UK group. There's plenty of US ones he can go ask in.

Reply to
Conor

No he didn't. He asked a question that is market specific for that country. Over here, the petrol companies don't run the petrol stations and the non franchised are more expensive so how the hell are we to know what the reason is?

Its like the morons who come on here asking a tech question about some Yank lardomatic slushmobile. WHY? They'd get a far better reply in a US group.

Reply to
Conor

The message from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com contains these words:

Some are. I've been given a flea in my ear before now for even mentioning UK outlooks in some groups.

However, you're right - it wasn't reasonable to bite his head off - just a little teasing would have been enough.

Reply to
Guy King

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A lot of them do.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Really? I think you'll find that they don't. Those with petroleum companies' names on the front are, as far as I know, franchises.

Reply to
Guy King

Agreed, but thats sort of mandatory, isn't it?

Reply to
conkersack

So what? Maybe he would have liked some sort of comparrison if possible.

Well, if you don't ask you don't get.

I can't believe this guy is getting stick for asking a question. Sure, as Guy King pointed out, teasing a yank is all good, but to have a go for asking a question, well, holy shizzle mizzle, as Snoop doggy dogg might say.

Reply to
conkersack

In article , AstraVanMan writes

Thankfully, though if Phony Tony gets his head any further up GWB's arse, we'll no doubt soon be annexed as the 53rd state.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

Come on, he's a typical Sherman assuming the USA means the United States of the World and who can't be arsed to do his newsgroup research.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not all. A *lot* of BP stations, for example, are run by BP - or at least the credit card slips all point back to the central parent.

Reply to
Adrian