Quick part enquiry

i need a replacment ball joint?? the bit with the rubber on on the bottom arm the rubber has spilt and its doin a nice knock and the mot is due soon

as i recall the ball joints are separate to the arm so im just imagining i bimble down to the local motor factors ( general traffic) and ask for a N/S ball joint for a 1998 Corsa.. yea?

Reply to
Tom Burton

Yea. You'll need to check the tracking if this is a track rod end.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

I would also get a price from your local Vauxhall dealer. I know the trade price on these are very good so I presume the retail price is too.

Reply to
Alan

at £6 odd plus vat i aint complaining, seening GT are an hour closer

Reply to
Tom Burton

Deffo the ball joint,

Reply to
Tom Burton

"Tom Burton" wrote in news:bihs99$9gv6g$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-121443.news.uni-berlin.de:

I have never owned a Corsa, but on the Vauxhalls I have owned, all the ball joints have been riveted to the wishbones. Getting a drill onto the rivets heads and drilling them is going to be a pig of a job given the space you have to work in - removing the wishbone or the suspension column would make it a lot easier but that is also a lot of work.

A friend who had exactly the same problem, just superglued the split in the gaiter and then rotated the split towards the wheel - in an MOT they do not remove the road wheels so the split could not be seen. The car passed its MOT and now it is something he keeps an eye on and will replace next time that wishbone has to be done.

However, it sounds like you have already got movement in the joint (you said it is already "doin a nice knock"). If there is movement, it means it will fail the MOT and the ball joint has to be replaced. So unfortunately, you are not going to be able to get away with a bit of superglue. If the existing one is rivetted in and you do the job with the wishbone in the car, I think you are going to have to spend a few hours effing and blinding with a hot drill in you hands. Good luck...

A few minutes later....

Thinking about it, you might be able to get an angle grinder on the rivet heads and grind them away completly and then just punch the body of the rivets out along with the ball joint. It would make the job a lot easier...

Reply to
DaveW

unfortunately,

Well, funny you should mention that, but a few months ago some muppet drove into the side of me and as part of the accident repair they changed the bottom arm, but not the ball joint... nice!

so as it happens its bolted on,

the O/S is still as new rivited on!

The knock, oh yea, strange now the roads seem a lot quieter and there isnt that curious streering feel,

all for the sake of £8

somthing like i had to do when the pinch bolt decided to chew up...

hey ho

TOM

Reply to
Tom Burton

LOL.

A 4lb hammer applied with judical wieght got my Mk1 Astra joint off in about a dozen swipes. Perhaps Vauxhalls weren't put together as well as Fords... well, OK, maybe the Transit had heavier rivets, then.

Reply to
Chewie