Radio code question

Skoda Octavia Elegance TDI PD - 2 litre diesel, June 2008.

Bought secondand July 2015. User manuals present, but no card with the radio security code.

If I disconnect the battery in order to investigate something unrelated to the radio, then reconnect the battery; will the radio require input of the security code to work again? If so, where do I find the serial number of the radio without taking the radio out of the dash?

TIA

Reply to
Graham J

If it's a built in unit (not familiar with VAG stuff but almost everything of the last 15+ years is) then it's very unlikely to want a user entered code. At best radios just check with other car systems that they're in the right car or, as per BMW, just that they're in *a* car (my BM radio won't power up on the bench for example.)

Reply to
Scott M

Interesting - thanks ...

Reply to
Graham J

Doesn't the manual tell you if you need a code?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yes, if the radio is replaced or moved to another vehicle. But in the past I've known the same text used to mean: "if the battery is disconnected" - which is why I asked here.

Reply to
Graham J

It would be likely that the radio is matched to the ECU in that case. Battery disconnection shouldn't be a problem.

Unfortunately, when a code is needed, for most modern cars the code is only available via a dealer at a cost.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan