Radio problem Omega Elite

I have a 1995 Omega Elite. It had no radio when I got it but did have a Philips changer in the boot. I bought a JVC MP3 radio CD and got the appropriate adaptor from Halfords. The original plug has two familiar iso connectors plus a longer third plug which I am told sends info to the the computer display and also operates the changer.

Plugged in switched on but sound is just audable at top volume although ballance and fade controls work fine. I have metered the speaker cables and get 0 ohms readings all round.

I have cut the adaptor cables and put in bullets so I can play around . At one point I had all speakers working Ok but by connecting just one wire of each of the 4 pairs !! This was fine until I switched off and on again and then I was back to the low volume again. If I connected the speakers once the unit was switched on I got proper volume. I cant even get that to happen now although the radio is working on four speakers wired directly to the socket.

Help please before I go mad.

Reply to
paul

Sounds like it comes with some sort of standard amp. Probably hidden under the dash somewhere.

If this is the case, you'll need to bypass that and drive the speakers directly from the head unit.

Reply to
SteveH

Reply to
paul

The speed dependent volume control is done by the radio and some have a mute facility for when a telephone is in use.

On some models there is a sound processor and two sub-woofers in the rear in addition to the normal 4 speakers and tweeters. It looks as though fuse F6 is present if you have this sound processor. A Radio without the sound processor has 21 wires and with it 18 (including earth and aerial).

If there is no sound processor the connections are directly to the speakers. The circuit in the Haynes manual is very hard to read because it's been reduced so much but it looks as though the telephone mute lead is a black one.

I don't know if any of this will be of any help but that's just about all I can read. I don't have a scanner so I can't scan the diagram but I doubt if it would be readable anyway.

Reply to
rp

The radios I've seen with speed related volume control just had a tacho input on the ISO connector into the radio, the radio handled the volume change.

Zero ohms is correct if you m,easure a speaker resistance with a multimeter - they are pure inductive devices, they offer a 'nominal' 4 ohms or whatever resistance but only to an AC signal. A DC test voltage from a multimeter will see them as a piece of wire.

Does the head unit have separate RCA outputs for an amplifier? It's possible it has an option to turn off it's internal amp if you are using an external one (which I don't think you have).

Car radio amps usually use a 'bridge' configuration for extra power from the low voltage. This means that by randomly connecting speaker wires to each other or to ground you can blow the main amplifier(s) inside and kill the radio. Be careful with those bullet connectors!

Reply to
PC Paul

Reply to
paul

Speakers are not pure inductive devices, they have an impedance which is part inductive & part resistive. [Impedance=sqrt(Resistance^2)x(InductiveReactance^2)]

Put a decent meter across any speaker and it will read pretty close to its stated impedance.

Zero Ohms would indicate a short circuit, which could quite easily, and very quickly damage the wirelesses output devices.

J. A. Chewer..

Reply to
Jaw Chewer

If it does have an additional output amp you should be able to unplug and bypss this. I haven't bothered to remove the factory radio from my Omega, but my wife's Toyota Previa had the additional amp (the radio Toyota fit has no output amp). It's the output amp that fails (it uses non-standard transistors so is virtually unrepairable and can't be bought as a replacement part!). I successfully bypassed it - in the Toyota it lives above the passenger footwell on the bulkhead - so retaining the original speakers. It just takes a bit of detective work with a meter.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

THat's burgerman fooked then. He's still trying to figure out how to indicate a negative voltage on the AC range of a multimeter so he can prove I'm wrong.

Reply to
Conor

Some of the high spec (elite) Omegas came with a bose sound system and for further info contact the boys on cavweb forums

Reply to
Gary Millar