radio wiring

I'm going to put a radio I took out of a dead Sierra into a non-ford vehicle, so simply plugging in isn't an option. I cut off a bit of the wiring with the radio, and the wires are -

Brown Yellow Green/yellow Red/white Red

I once had a note of what connected to which, but now I can't find it. Anybody help please?

TIA

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Don't rely on me to be 100% on this.....

ISTR, brown is negative, red positive, green/yellow and red/white are speakers. Yellow, not sure - possibly a common earth for the speakers, but ISTR it's the memory live.

Older Ford radios didn't have speaker -ve / earth wires, I'm pretty sure they were earthed via the bodywork.

Reply to
SteveH

Sorry, I should have mentioned the speakers were on separate plugs. This is as well as the speakers and antenna.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Ahhh, slightly more advanced wiring, then......

Brown is almost certainly -ve / earth and the rest, red ignition switched live and yellow will be permanent live. (pretty close to standard ISO wiring).

The stripey ones will be for amp and aerial switching.

Reply to
SteveH

If its the older Ford stereos

Brown = 0v Yellow = 12V+ Ignition Live Red = 12V + Permanent Live Red/White = Comes live when the radio is on (used for Arial/amps etc) Green/Yellow = Illumination live (changes the brightness when headlights are on)

The red & yellow ones may need swapping depending on what car you are putting it into. If in doubt connect them both to a permanent live.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

Brown - 0v. Red - constant 12v Red / Wh - Switched 12v Yellow - power aerial Grn / Yellow - unused.

Hope this helps.

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

WHOA there!!!!

On some Fords Brown is the radio LIVE!!

Reply to
Pete M

That sounds about right, I had a feeling the lights were involved. Thanks to all.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

how wrong you were eh :)

Reply to
dojj

That is correct for a 86-91 mk4 Escort!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Wonder if it depends where/when the car/radio is made? Brown was the UK colour (Lucas) for unfused +12 volts, and brown with a tracer for fused.

But in Germany, brown is ground...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not any of the ones I've ever worked on.

From the Ford workshop manual

Escort Sept 1980-Sept 1990 Brown = 0V Yellow = 12V From Ignition Red = 12V Constant Red/White = Aux Output to power airel/amp etc

Escort/Orion Sept 1990 - 2000 Brown = 0V Yellow = 12V from ignition Red = 12V Constant Grey/Yellow = 12V from headlights Brown/White = To anti theft Alarm

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

does that mean that their radio didn't have any illumination then?

Reply to
dojj