Ratchet Sets - Halfords?

A quickie,

what ratchet sets do you use for changing spark plugs or general DIY car related mishaps? I've been looking on the internet for a while but am suspicious of the halfords "lifetime guarantee" - I've found a lot of their products to be pretty substandard in the past, such as their various range of filters and spark plugs. I'd rather not go into their shop to exclusively fund the Bosch marketing machine.

I'll be doing spark plugs soon for a few people so figured I better get the correct equipment; already got a simple ratchet but need the various hex/pent size fittings available. I can't seem to access my own spark plugs by hand, and I've got very small hands, so am guessing it's not a hand job (excuse the pun) for the majority of engines. Perhaps borrowing a small child could aid... Anyway, online ratchets seem cheap and rubbish quality generally, should I be looking at Laser branded products, B&Q's own brand, Stanley, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Rajko

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Rajko, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Halfords socket sets are generally great. I know professional garage workshops that now use more Halfords sockets than Snap-On ones.

One bonus being that the 17yr old spotty oik in Halfords doesn't care that you've been using a 17mm socket to remove wheel locking nuts, but he can see that it's broken and he'll give you a new one with no problem. The Snap-On man will argue until the end of time if the socket you need replacing looks like it was dropped, once.

Reply to
Pete M

Yup. I've got a set that I bought back in the late 70's and it's still in use. Have replaced the useless sizes in the box with more sensible ones over the years, but everything original is still fine.

Ditto a combination spanner set I bought at the same time.

Dunno what the quality is like these days though.

Al.

Reply to
Al

Just make sure it's their "Pro" range. And keep the receipt. But Pete's right, should you break one they will replace them without quibbling, as they did for me when I snapped a Torx bit in a Vauxhall head bolt.

Reply to
asahartz

All three of those will be tattier than Halfords. There's a lot of Bahco sets going cheap at the moment for some reason.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Halford's pro range are really pretty good and decent value.

However, keep an eye on your local Lidl. Their tools tend to be exceptional value. Or at least the ones I've bought from them were.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Seconded. I replaced =A33k of "misplaced" Snappy gear with Halfords for=20

1/10th of the price and it's certainly up to the hammering I used to=20 give the Snappy stuff.

--=20 Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

Reply to
Conor

Although the rest of the set seems good, the Halfords Torx bits are a poor design - no matter what the size of the bit, the hex that is permanently fitted into the socket base is the same size. This means that in the larger sizes, the hex is smaller than the actual bit and forms a weak point - I recently snapped a T55 bit doing up head bolts. Fortunately I had another (non-Halfords) to hand to complete the correct sequence without scrapping the one use stretch bolts.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I found that I couldn't access at least 1 of my plugs on my 306 using a normal socket set, extension bar and spark plug socket. The problem was part of the engine (on the left end, back side of the engine) was in the way of at least 1 plug and I wasn't inclined to disassemble it that much to change the plugs.

In the end I got a Halfords universal joint to go into the plug socket and on the end of the extension bar - result was I could get access to the problem plug(s). However, whilst tightening up one of the small pins holding the joint all together snapped. The one the other side remained, and I could finish the job fine. I returned the part to Halfords and got a new one without any quibble. It claimed to have a lifetime warranty and I've kept the tag (probably not the receipt) if I need it again.

I guess there's a chance that using the universal joint, I may put the plug in wonky, but I always do it up using my fingers first, to ensure it's in the thread correctly before tightening up.

David Hearn

Are you setting up a mobile spark plug changing service or soemthing?? If so, I really hope you know what you're doing...

Do Halfords do their own spark plugs?? I haven't been dissatified with any of their filters either.

Reply to
adder1969

Not at all, I just think changing spark plugs or similarly easy items shouldn't be left to a garage to do, especially for some of the cash-strapped people I know who need a good service soon. Also a good way of pulling women, but wives (particlarly my wife) wouldn't be too chuffed with that proposal.

I found when comparing air filters the majority of the ones available for my audi had much much poorer quality, and thinner, paper elements from halfords. I compared others too and noticed the same, so just decided to ditch them. If it's to last 30k it's usually worth going to the dealers for the part as the price is usually the same.

Reply to
Rajko

I had a simmilar problem wtih the a 7mm hex.

I got another from the store which snapped again, so i sent it off to head office who sent me £25 in vouchers :-)

But that is the only problem i have had with around 120pcs of tools from the halfords pro collection.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

I guess I would be worried about them snapping (I've read it a number of times in here!) and being left in the situation of having to explain it to the cash-strapped person.

David Hearn

I'd not fancy it. Easy way to land yourself in a lot of bother if you ask me. I've wondered myself if I'm going to snap the plugs doing them on my own car, let alone the car of a cash strapped person who's not had them done in

100k...
Reply to
Doki

.

Snapping the old ones isn't in itself a problem and you either have to be unfortunate or completely ham fisted to snap the new ones going in. Something about the OP sounds fishy though, to me. Change yer spark plugs luv? :-)

Reply to
adder1969

OK. Cash strapped people are more likely to drive 1.3 Fiestas and Kas, and he'll be snapping plugs every day of the week ;).

Reply to
Doki

Disagree, much more likely going to be older vauxhalls and generally better cars than fiestas and KAs

Reply to
Rajko