Re: 1.8 Escort Diesel problem - no fuel at injectors

>> Bear with me on this please, I'm about 2 pints of unleaded away from >> torching this fscker!!

SNIP

>Some immboilisers prevented cranking, others didn't. > >The initial problem does sound like air ingress. When priming, did the >plunger on top of the fuel filter get hard to push?

Yes, it did. There's plenty of fuel getting to the filter and to the pump.

If it didn't then there's air getting in somewhere. Escorts were bad for the >fuel pipes chaffing (usally around the filter area, and anywhere between the >engine and underside). Working one pipe at a time, run your fingers along >them and feel for any chaffed spots, and check them closely for any spots >where they may of chaffed through. >Was the other filter head you tried a known good one?

Brand spanking new, direct from the manufacturer, if you know what I mean ;)

If you remove the outlet pipe from the primer head, cover it with your >finger, and then try the primer, the primer should go stiff and pressure >build up under your finger. If it doesn't, it's faulty.

Plenty of pressure. And plenty of diesel all over the engine bay now. :(

>As for the immobilizer. Check all the fuses in the fuse box.

Done this.

If you drop >down the fuse box, there are other fuses (might only be one - it;s been a >while since I worked on one) in amongst the electrical connectors on the >rear which also need checked (from memory the fuse is pretty well hidden, >and may require you to disconnect some of the electrical connectors to find >it)

Will look at this tomorrow.

If that checks out OK, and the immobiliser is still showing no sign of life, >you have two options. >Get it sorted properly, or bypass it. >To bypass it, remove the security shield of the pump. You may be lucky and >have one of the vans that didn't get two shear bolts to hold it on, and may >just have normal bolts (or one normal and one shear).

Look like shear bolts to me.

Once the security shield is of, disconnect the immobiliser module on the >pump, and connect the wire with the 12v feed direct onto the stop solenoid. >

Does it matter which one, I've got 2 out of 3 of the wires at 12v, but not the same 2 as my mate's Escort diesel.

It may also be worth checking the actual immobiliser module for water >ingress. It's mounted on the inside of near side A-pillar (a black box about >4x3x1inch) behind the trim panel. Water ingress was quite common. If you >carefully open the module, if there has been any water in it, you should see >the white marks.

This is a possibility as my van does tend to be like a sieve in this particular area.

Thanks for this, I'll give it a look after work tomorrow.

Reply to
Nufkamp