Re: abs sensor.

Following the deathly silence on my request for info, I've finally sorted it out and discovered some gen which you may find useful. Most abs sensors are exposed to the elements. The fronts are subjected to all the crap the road can throw up plus gunge deposited from the front brakes. Since asbestos was banned brake pads have a helluva lot of metal in them. Discs wear out 70% faster with modern pads. A lot of that metallic powder is thrown over the rotator segments on the drive shaft and the tip of the abs sensor mounted adjacent. The abs sensor sends signals to the ecu as a magnetic induction sine wave. Cover the sensor in metallic powder(magnetic) and the abs ecu will detect a supposed fault. On goes the warning light on the dash and no MoT until its fixed. Whenever you have a wheel off, it's worthwhile cleaning up the sensor and rotator whilst it's accessible. Old toothbrush and contact cleaner is useful. BTW-Citroen Xantia abs sensor £50 from main dealer. (Old one probably ok with a clean up). Here endeth the lesson. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Similar problem with my Fiat Bravo - only I went over a speed bump a bit quick, must have knocked the crud off the sensor cos it works like a charm now!

Hellraiser..........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

I gave the same information about metallic dust on sensors, in a reply to Hellraiser about a fortnight ago, in the thread 'Fiat Bravo ABS failure-what to check' Your earlier enquiry asked for details of how to remove the sensor on a Xantia, about which I didn't have a clue. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Right, missed that earlier thread. DaveK.

Reply to
davek