Re: Car starts - eventually!

I should say that I know very little about car maintenence. I can add water,

> oil and of course petrol but that about as far as I go. > > Car is a Ford Fiesta 1.1 1996, done about 55k miles, manual gearbox. Here's > the problem: up until about a 3 weeks ago it was fine. Then, I got in it one > day having not used it for a week and when I turned the ignition it was > dead. My immediate reaction was that it was a flat battery but the light, > windscreen wiper and radio worked. So I tried again --> nothing. Left it 30 > seconds, tried it again and this time I got a clicking noise from, er, > "somewhere"! Left it 30 seconds and it briefly turned over. After a few more > iterations of this (with each attempt to start better than the

previous) it

started and thence ran fine. > > I next used it 1 week later and it did exactly the same, but again, I got it > started eventually. Same thing the following week (i.e. today). I've also > noticed that it also starts OK if I leave it to stand for an hour after > using it (but not a week). > > I'm hoping someone's going to say "text book batteryoidernator" (or > something like that anyway)? I'm going to take it into the garage and just > want to avoid some bloke breating deeply through his teeth and

telling me

that I need a new engine, chassis and body, plus VAT! > > TIA > Mark > >

Probably a battery or charging fault, but could be something running the battery down while parked or a starter fault or could just be a battery lead !

I once had a customer got me to check a car over because sometimes it turned over very slowly when trying to start, the eventual fault was a slipping clutch (his wife was trying to start in gear sometimes!)

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

can add water,

gearbox. Here's

got in it one

ignition it was

the light,

nothing. Left it 30

from, er,

After a few more

previous) it

again, I got it

today). I've also

hour after

batteryoidernator" (or

garage and just

telling me

It could be a faulty starter motor, or switch. Check the heavy wires connecting the battery, starter switch, and starter motor. Not forgetting both ends of the battery earth lead as well. Take them off and clean them. Make sure you have your radio code, if it's coded, before you take the leads off the battery. Also check the lighter wiring to the starter switch. A bad connection on any of these could give starting problems. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Listen Mark Fords are prone to starter and battery faults.....Two things to remember: (1) if you turn the key and all lights go out/fade the battery/connections need checking. (2) if you turn the key and the engine lights stay on the solenoid/starters faulty a clicking noise is the solenoid/starter Hope this helps get back if not.

Bill

Reply to
Bill