Re: Focus warning light ?

2000 Focus Ghia Estate 1.8L.

> > Drove to Tesco tonight - about 5 miles - and all ok. Came out, > stopped in their garage and put some petrol in. Restarted ok. Pulled > away and got to the roundabout 100 yds down the road, and noticed > that the engine warning light was on steadily. Engine was still > running ok. It drove home without anything apparently wrong. Felt > totally normal. Switched off at home, then restarted. Again, engine > feels normal, but still have a steady warning light. So, couple of > questions. Does the light latch on on the Focus, irrespective of > whether the problem was momentary, and has gone away, or have I > likely got something amiss that the ECU doesn't like ? Also, anyone > want to take a shot at what might be wrong ? The user guide doesn't > say much other than to get it checked by a dealer asap. It's a bit > more forceful in its wording if the light is flashing, but in my > case, it's not. I have to do a bit of local running about tomorrow, > and I don't think I will be able to get my mate round with his > analyser - if that's what it needs - until Saturday. What's the > likelihood of this problem being 'something and nothing' , or should > I not go out in it until it has been looked at ? > TIA > > Arfa

if it sounds and feels OK then just use it till you can get it checked, I have often seen cars driven for years with the light on. The fault migh be many things, a cam sensor for instance can put the light on and everything still feels fine.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

critcher said...... disconnect the battery for 5 mins, reconnect and the light will prob be gone.Had this at least 4 times,disconnect battery always cured it

Reply to
critcher
[...]

Those codes are only for dashboard related things. You can't access any of the information that will be available from the OBD port.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

C'mon Arfa - thought you would have had one of these in your toolbag:-

Geo

This page seems to state the 200 should have standard OBD2 (2nd page of a thread):-

I just use an "app" (Torque free) on an android phone and tablet.

Reply to
Geo

This page seems to state the 200 should have standard OBD2 (2nd page of a thread):-

I just use an "app" (Torque free) on an android phone and tablet.

That's a bit strange. When I investigated buying one of these a while ago, I checked out the diagnostic socket in my car (1999) and it was a different type, so this unit will not physically fit.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis
[...]

EOBD was compulsory for all petrol cars from 2001, and diesels from 2004. (New models had to be compliant a year earlier.)

The Focus was built with this in mind, and all versions have the standard port.

Note that generic code readers will only read or reset engine-based faults; things like air-bag faults are manufacturer-specific, and thus need much more expensive kit to read or reset.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

That is strange because all the focus including a T plate one I have ever seen have the same sort of socket. Even a 1996 fiesta uses that socket. Autodata only show one type too. Assuming you still have the car can you put a picture up somewhere or send me a piccy?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That is strange because all the focus including a T plate one I have ever seen have the same sort of socket. Even a 1996 fiesta uses that socket. Autodata only show one type too. Assuming you still have the car can you put a picture up somewhere or send me a piccy?

Oops, sorry its my fault, I'm getting confused in my old age.

A while ago I actually wanted one of these, I thought all these Android/bluetooth devices would all be generic in the way they operate.

The apps look amazing on youtube.

On Googling whether it would work in my car, I found it wouldn't. I thought it was because of the shape of the connector, but maybe its because it doesn't have the right pin configuration.

I seem to remember something about the shape of mine identifying something or other, it was to do with the "ears" sticking out of the bottom bit.

Here's a piccy of mine.

It would be great if I am wrong and this would work in my car, I would show it to my girlfiend right away.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

You have the standard socket as fitted to all the focuses.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

I use a cheap USB to EOBD device with a laptop; the first one I bought didn't work, and I had to return it. The replacement works fine.

Why not? Every Focus made is EOBD compliant, or at least all the petrol ones are. Not sure about the oil-burners, but I suspect they are also. (I can check if you need to know.)

BTW, I bought mine to use on my 1999 Focus...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

I use a cheap USB to EOBD device with a laptop; the first one I bought didn't work, and I had to return it. The replacement works fine.

Why not? Every Focus made is EOBD compliant, or at least all the petrol ones are. Not sure about the oil-burners, but I suspect they are also. (I can check if you need to know.)

BTW, I bought mine to use on my 1999 Focus...

Chris

Many a time in my short life on this planet, have I had either a software or hardware update that has cobbled a system that worked perfectly well before.

I look at a cheap Chinese OBD dongle and a contemporary App for 3 quid, and quite frankly, I have very little faith at all that it will work properly with a car manufactured in the last century. Life in the computer world just isn't like that, it doesn't always support legacy products despite what it may claim.

I am going to buy one though, just out of curiosity, and see if it works or not.

I suspect not, though, but if I am wrong, I will be a very happy Bunny. And so will my girlfriend. Perhaps.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis
[...]

Any car that is EOBD compliant *will* work with any *working* EOBD device; the problem may lie in getting something that works at all. However, if it works, it will work with any European petrol car from

2001, and any earlier car designed to comply, such as the Focus. The standard has not changed in respect of the legally required functions since introduction. I reiterate that any basic EOBD reader that is *not* manufacturer specific will only read the engine codes that are legally required for emissions purposes.

The basic software for EOBD readers has been kicking around the 'net for free for at least a decade. To translate that to another platform would have been fairly trivial. There are at least half a dozen versions that all work fairly well.

Therein lies the only potential problem. There are loads of readers available for pocket money that are very poorly made. There was even a whole batch around on eBay where the pin connections were reversed. (Using one caused no damage, but they didn't work.) You may have to obtain more than one in order to get a working one, so if your supplier of choice is an eBay trader, use one with good feedback.

Too much information...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan