Re: New model Ford Ka

> > Having read a bit about the 'new' Ka in the press over the last couple

> > > of weeks, I was intrigued to know what the 'new' engines were. > > > > > > Looking at the specs, it seems Ford have found a stash of unused CVH > > > lumps they need to use up. > > > > LOL. well not its not quite a CVH, but a re worked pushrod endura e where > > they have bolted on a low friction low inertia overhead cam 8 valve head on > > and driven it with a simplex chain, using an idler sproket where the old cam > > used to live, which now has a plain jackshaft that just drives the oil pump. > > *shakes head* > > What a complete and utter waste of development time (and money).

Probably not. Have you driven the new 1.3 Duratec?

IMHO, they should have spent that cash on getting the 1.25 Zetec through > the new Euro emissions tests.

Perhaps. I'm quite sure the bean counters had their say in it thought.

The Duratec drives like a hybrid of the Endura-E and the 1.25, and has the best traits of both. It revs sweetly and it doesn't suffer from the "no torque" problem of the 1.25 below around 3,500 rpm.

> Rest of the Ka is unchanged, except you get PAS on the basic model as > > standard now. Dervy will probably add the more intricate details in a > > moment... > > Heh. I did notice that the SportKa has a more agressive front end. > Similar to the StreetKa. Still looks wrong to me, though. > > I just wondered with the engine, as I know Ford have put some > development time into the CVH, and, ISTR, launched it as the 'all new > Ro-cam' lump.

The RoCam is about the same age as the Zetec-SE donk, and rather a splendid one, too, by all accounts.

Seems that the 90s burned out all their inspiration, as they're slipping > back into mediocrity again.

You need to drive the newer Duratec (and RoCom) before you can pass comment, though.

Reply to
DervMan

I'm sure I don't.

Ford have only ever produced one decent line of engines - and it took Yamaha to design it for them.

SOHC and 8 valves is just so last century ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Heh . . .

But it doesn't matter how many valves or camshafts, what counts is the delivery of the power and, more importantly, the torque. Otherwise, the VAG twenty valve engine would be a minor deity. It's not, it's a wag of bank without turbocharging.

Here's the Endura-E's strength. >90% of peak torque from 2,000 rpm to 4,000 rpm (or is it 4,500 rpm). Peak power from 5,000 rpm. Now it's not an engine for a sports car, but for a city bound machine, that's just about ideal.

As for the RoCam, similar engine design - lots of low down thump. It works in the 1200 kg Streetka, it'll work better in the 950 kg Sportka . . .

Reply to
DervMan

And for part two, you're wrong, the above statement is incorrect. You mean "The PSA Group" don't you? ;)

Reply to
DervMan

eurgh, no.

I suppose the TDCi motors are OK, but they're still diesel.

Reply to
SteveH

Heh. What could be worse than a revvy twin spark donk that doesn't even get up for breakfast before 4,500 rpm? :)

Reply to
DervMan

a diesel.

Reply to