Re: OT: BNP man to be shunned in London assembly

"Adrian" wrote

> > > Good. And they say politicians have no integrity. Most of them, it seems, > > do. > > Although I've no sympathies with the BNP I presume this candidate was > elected in a democratic vote and so the electorate who chose him are > effectively being shunned.

Quite so. It's not a pretty sight in any way.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I was doing 'Classical Studies' in secondary school in the early 70s. I vaguely remember stories about Agamemnon geting done in while in his bath, and how a Greek amphitheatre was laid out. Rivetting stuff! The Classical Studies teacher was a bit weedy and wet (blimey, I'm coming over all Molesworth now!) but would dish out the belt at the slightest provocation. ISTR one class locked him in the classroom cupboard at one point when he went in to get some textbooks.

Reply to
Halmyre

It used to be the case, didn't it, that A levels in Classical Studies were a requirement for anyone wanting to study medicine at university?

Reply to
Graz

With all due respect, doing some stand alone classical studies lessons isn't the same as a Victorian-style 'classical education' where all the lessons were based around the classics - Latin, Greek, classical geometry, ancient history, classical poetry.

I'm not saying this necessarily equips a man for the modern world but it

*was* the education system which produced Enoch Powell and many of his generation for whom dropping classical allusions into everyday conversation was the norm - hence the so-called 'Rivers of Blood' speech
Reply to
Stimpy

Ouch. What subject did this Ancient Greek teach?

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

On Tue, 6 May 2008 07:18:22 +0100, Halmyre wrote

He taughts the Latin, innit?

Reply to
Stimpy

With the significant difference that Adolf cared very much about his country whereas "none of the above" do. Bliar is out for the EU presidency, Brown for himself (as they all are) and none for the country - which is the root of the problem.

Reply to
jake