Re: Steering problem.

MK3 Capri.

> > Steering is heavier when turning to the right. Tyres OK. Am I right in > assuming its the strut top bearing that's gone/going? It's just passed > MOT on balljoint. > > > -- > ________________________ > Conor Turton > conor snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com > ICQ:31909763 > ________________________

Conor, Check the bushes in the Track Control Arm. I had this exact same problem, and yes it had passed an MOT about two weeks earlier and they did not spot the excessive wear in the lower balljoint that had been caused by the track control arm problem.

Do you notice the car skipping when turning full lock at low speed in either forward or reverse.

Get checked it immediately, the balljoint on mine actually parted and it was a swine to get home. Took the Green Flag people

5mins to load on the truck, and 2.5hours to get it off the truck as the wheel kept jamming in the wheel arch.

Kevin B

Reply to
Kevin B

If you mean only when moving but not when stationary it could be a caster Otherwise especiall if still present when both wheels are jacked up clear of the ground I would suspect a bent steering rack out seized steering column universal joint.

Reply to
AWM

I had one of these - as I remember, there is no proper strut top bearing at all ! I also remember it doiing a trick where as you turned the wheel, the road spring got twisted and and then, ping, the spring rotated in its holder at one of the ends. I think the only way I cured that was to run it with the top nuts ( on the damper rod ) slightly looser. I know this sounds like crap, and my memory is fading, but I'm sure there is some truth in the above. I think you can buy aftermarket strut top bearings as an upgrade.

Any Capri experts out there ?? Steve

Reply to
sro

Thanks all. Got a list of things to look at at the weekend.

________________________ Conor Turton conor snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com ICQ:31909763 ________________________

Reply to
Conor