Re: Top Gear survey 2005

Sandy Nuts ( snipped-for-privacy@home.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Octavia = Passat = A4

Octavia = Golf = A3.

Reply to
Adrian

I know, I'm joking to add some spice to an already confused sub-thread.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

My eight year old's friends do that. It's about the most annoying thing they do.

Reply to
Guy King

In news:Qy7af.73$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net, AstraVanMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

The equivalent of 50 mpg on LPG, ITYF.

Reply to
Pete M

Yes, they do look s**te. But they're a very well selling car, so it's inevitable that a fair few will get crashed. I bet you haven't seen many VW Phaetons in there. A lot less of those were sold than the Focus. I wonder if that's a coincidence?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

'cooking' Imprezas and Lancers are tediously dull cars.

Reply to
SteveH

AstraVanMan ( snipped-for-privacy@Whataloadofforeskinbollocks.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The *new* Focus? I've hardly seen any about yet.

Reply to
Adrian

In fact, that's a point. I may have been talking s**te.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You probably have, it's just that they're so bland you haven't noticed.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ah. Of course.

Reply to
Adrian

They're still nice to drive, that's what matters to me. Good handling, zesty engine.

Reply to
neutron

You have strange standards.

Reply to
SteveH

Nice to drive? ROFL go get in a car that really is nice to drive like an Elise.

Reply to
Depresion

Yeah, very practical, an Elise. I wouldn't get an Elise anyway if I wanted an out and out sports car I'd go for the Exige or a Porsche Cayman, way out of my price band though and not practical for me. Christ what a mindless suggestion.

Reply to
neutron

You never said anything about practical just a very wrong statement about Imprezas and Lancers being good to drive. I know where to file the rest of your posts.

Reply to
Depresion

I can think of a number of reasons. What gets classed as engine reliability is rarely anything to do with the engine itself these days. It's mainly failing ancilliaries - fuel injection systems, electrical systems etc. Are these always going to be identical components from the same source? How these get assembled, wires being stretched, connections not fully made, maybe whether a squirt of anti corrosion fluid gets used on connections or not could make a difference. Then there's the start up procedure and whether someone canes the thing round the carpark at 6k rpm on the way out of the factory.

Finally there's post production quality control and maybe a conscientious Czech listening for unusual engine noises or an engine that doesn't settle down to the expected idle speed after starting which could indicate a potential long term problem will pull out more cars for QC work than someone in another factory who doesn't give a shit as long as it starts and drives onto a truck.

-- Dave Baker

Reply to
Dave Baker

Always surprises me when I see recent model cars with parking sensors, and a big dent in the bumper!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

To quote my local hire car agent " Bugger they've given me one with parking sensors" .", "No, they don't stop people reversing into things , they just make it more expensive when they do."

Reply to
Duncanwood