Re: Vauxhall Carlton Rear Electric Window Problem

Hi there, I wonder if anybody can shed any light on this rather

> annoying problem: > > I have 1992 J plate Carlton Diplomat, and recently an intermittent > fault has been occuring on the back near side electric window as it > stops working( Need to use windows as blasted Air con not working:( ). > > I have also noticed that the rear window mechanism sometimes > experiences some "Resistance" to closing as the anti-jam mechanism > cuts in and backs the window down a couple of inches, but this is only > very occasionally. > > Yesterday, the window stuck half open and I could not get it to move > up or down no matter how many times I pressed either the front or rear > window buttons,with and without holding the black anti-jam button in > (other rear window was working fine).

I had the same exact problem with my old Carlton 2.6 CDX, amongst other electrical woes. Turned out that it was the battery needed to be fully charged, it had the wrong alternator on it. There are three types for the Carlton, if it is fully loaded your going to need the expensive one I am affraid. The person who owned it before me obviously needed to penny pinch.

> Having left it till 10pm last night, it then worked (I have left the > window up now !!!)

Battery had time to recover.

> The fault only really apprears to be occuring up when its warm, and > when left to cool it generally works, but this is more likely to be > coincidence I feel!

Fans on inside? short trips? good electrical drain.

Dave

Reply to
Funkman

Or you could just not use some of the toys until it is. Even the most weedy standard alternator these days will happily run most things on a car, and certainly charge any battery fully. Electric windows may take a fair bit of current, but not for long. The heated rear window is probably the most power hungry electrical device on a car, and doesn't every car have one?

Reply to
Dave Plowman