RE: XReg Mondeo VBad idle

Hi, and help!

I have an x-reg mondeo, 16v zetec. The car idles very erratically when the engine has reached temperature, and the rev counter goes mad, until the engine backfires and dies and this is getting worse.

I have new plugs, leads, oil, clutch, fuel filter and coil (there's no t-piece on this model). I've taken the Idle Speed Control Valve off and given it a good clean, and put 12v across is and it clicks so assume it is working? The engine light does not come on either.

The MAF sensor and new coil have been checked and they seem to be working fine, and can't find any vacuum leaks.

From yesterday, the car is also having problems starting. The engine

turns over but doesn't catch easily.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Kevin

Reply to
kcscott

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

The Throttle Position Sensor is just about the only thing you haven't mentioned.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Aye, not checked that yet or the Vehicle Speed Sensor, but would they cause these probs? I'll still check 'em out tho

Reply to
SePpEy

Collapsed catalyst.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Typical symptoms of a knackered or poorly fitted or bashed-by-clutch-change Crank Angle Sensor. Your clue is erratic rev counter.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Solved the prob...

A wire to the crankshaft position sensor had worn and was earthing on an aircon pipe, as the problem was intermittent. Just replaced break with new wire and solder and hey presto!

Cheers

Reply to
SePpEy