Reading my plugs

My plugs have been changed now, and there's some good news. I think I've found the cause of the misfire problem. The connector (where the leads plug in) on plug 3 was loose, as I picked it up I noticed it spin around. My dad said last night that he's had this causing a misfire on motorbikes in the past. I didn't actually notice this until after having a long drive with the new plugs. I wasn't listening for the misfire, but when I got in I realised that I hadn't heared the misfire, and then I found the loose end on the plug. The car does drive differently too, but I'll come on to that in a moment.

Now, there are two pictures of my plugs on the net. "plugs.JPG", and "plug2.JPG". These can be found at www[DOT]geocities[DOT]com/petermcmillan_uk/. It was very hard to get good pictures because they were so small, it's virtually impossible to even see the carbon arouund the rings. My main concern is plug 2 (which is why there is a seperate pic of it). The thread on plug 2 is the only one with oil on it, and the insulator stuff around the electrode is more golden. Could these be problems? This can just be seen from the pictures. Oh, all of these connectors had black deposits over them, but it didn't cover the whole connector.

When I first started the engine I wasn't expecting any difference until the idle settled down (because that's where the exhausty kinda noise happens). I was wrong though there was a difference almost instantly :o. It wasn't a huge difference, but enough for me to notice it. What happened next really shocked me though. I tried reversing out of my driveway slowly, the back lifted up, and the car shot back. It had clearly effected the performance. For a few roads I also found it harder to keep the speed down. When accelerating fast it didn't feel faster, but I think this was because the car was quieter than usual.

The exhaust still sounds just as loud, but it seems to sound more normal to me. I'll see what it's like for a few weeks, but I think I'm gonna be satisfied with it. Why couldn't the garage have diagnosed this misfire? They said there was nothing wrong and it was normal!

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

A loose end on a plug isn't going to make a difference. I've just sorted a freinds car with a plug with the connecter stuck up the tube a good *inch* from the top of the plug - it was quite happily arcing that gap and then hitting the plug and sparking inside the cylinder. It eventually gave up after a week when the arc found a better apth to earth and missed the plug entirely.

Post the link please - there is no reason to obfuscate addresses like this!

Also when you get goecitied to death email me the pictures and I'll stick them on a webserver that can cope.

Oh. He's already been Geocitied. Ah well.

Reply to
Chris Street

Hmm, dunno. I like to be safe.

I don't know how to find your full e-mail address. Google seems to replace some of it with ... I can see everything after the @ sign.

That didn't last long :o

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

!! Just how is anyone going to kill you through a web page? If there's anything dangerous there then you shouldn't have posted it up there in the first place.

Well stopping using google groups and getting an offline newsreader may help. The email address is available with show options and then reply to author I suspect.

snipped-for-privacy@chris-street.demon.co.uk

Reply to
Chris Street

OK, here are the plug pictures. I've resized them down a little from your original image sizes Peter.

Both about 150k images

Personally I think they are fine, apart from the unfortunate choice of make. Plug 2's oily thread is IMHO anything to worry about - the plug nose looks to be the best colour of them all.

Reply to
Chris Street

Thanks!

OK, I'm happy with that. I would've liked all of the plugs to look exactly the same, but it's probably not a problem.

That's what I thought.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

A loose screw connector on a plug will certainly not cause a misfire. If the misfire has been cured by changing the plugs, the most obvious reason is that one or more of the old plugs was faulty. Possibly breaking down under load. Under performing HT leads can also cause misfires. Which is quite likely with plugs that need replacing anyway. Having said that, the plugs look fine. Next time though replace them with NGK. Most agree they are better than Champions. Longer lasting, better performing etc. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

misfire on

My leads should be fine. They've got a 10 year guarantee, and are less than a year old! Performance ones, so they cerainly shouldn't be underperforming.

These new ones are Magneti Marelli 'Evolution plugs' :-)

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

The message from Chris Street contains these words:

Look OK to me, too.

Reply to
Guy King

They certainly caused a misfire on one of my karts, connector vibrated loose, engine misfires, connector vibrates looser kart stops running, connector tightened problem solved till it came loose again, connector tightened with pliers problem solved completely.

Reply to
Paul Laidlaw

Had this on my Volvo 740's too. Definately related to a loose screw on connector on the plugs. Tightened mine with pliers, same result as above.

Reply to
Taz

IIRC, you got some "performance" leads from a factors, which (IMO) will be tarted up crap-inna-box.

You'll want OEM leads (IMO).

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

As an aside, is there anyway of doing this on a diesel? Not looking at spark plugs obviously, but is there a way of checking combustion is good visually, apart from checking smoke out of the exhaust?

Reply to
Taz

Magnecor KV85's. They're supposed to be good, and definately made a difference.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

The message from petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com contains these words:

That's sad. Someone who knows the make and model of his ignition leads.

Reply to
Guy King

Even sadder, you know what they are too now.

Reply to
Taz

Definitely. Chumpion's quality control is somewhat lacking by all accounts.

Reply to
Carl Bowman

No. the fact that you fitted *new* leads made a difference.

Side by side test against new OEM leads and you won't know one from the other.

Reply to
Chris Street

Are you running plasma ignition, with huge plug gaps and fancy fuel and timing mapping? Because otherwise, aside from heat issues if the leads pass near the exhaust manifold, you really don't need to be spending shitloads on leads. In fact, in my opinion for a mild setup you can't beat good old copper leads. I've got a couple of engines from teh 60s and 70s that had Champion copper leads as standard, and they're still not missing a beat on the ones they came out the factory with!

I'd say you have more money than sense, but in your case that'd take about

7p. A set of NGKs would do you fine, you want to be a bit more flash, get the double copper V grooves, not that I ever noticed a real difference between those and the cheaper ones. You don't need fancy plugs or fancy leads, till you have a fancy system, FFS.
Reply to
Stuffed

words:

Looked odd to me. 3 look almost new, one looked like it was running right. I'd be wondering why one stood out from the rest, but I wouldn't be exactly worrying about it.

FWIW, I put a new set of plugs in the other week, and all four now look far more used than any of those out of Peter's car. Strangely, they still work though...

Reply to
Stuffed