Rear Brakes V70 2001

I noticed my rear near side brake was overheating, so suspected the caliper was sticking. I stripped the brake, cleaned all rust off, cleaned and lubed the slides, retracted the piston, which seems to move ok now. The problem is now both sides seem to be making scraping noises off and on, which usually goes away after reversing for a few feet. I can't see rust or obstructions on the back plate where the noises seem to be coming from. I haven't had time to take the disks off to look at the drum brake side of things yet (12 hour night shifts), but could the noise be coming from the drum brakes? I have read that the shoes can be problematic on these cars. It is a 2001 V70, age of shoes unknown.

Reply to
Tunku

perhaps the handbrake cable is stiff and holding the brake on, reversing may well push the shoes back a little.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Reply to
TMC

luckier than my sister's alfa, a lining fell off and locked the wheel. it took ages to get the drum off at the side of the road. (it was close to home and did not happen at high speed)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It's a well known problem, inspect the brake shoes immediately.

Reply to
bweebar

bweebar wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I guess I was lucky then. I pulled the rear brakes apart today. Near side was OK but shoes very worn. Offside was a mess. Both shoe retaining springs had worked loose and were rattling around the drum gouging into the shoe braking material etc. Shoes and springs a total mess. Thankfully no other damage, all I need to do is replace shoes and spring sets. I have the spring set, but am still waiting for the shoes, which should arrive tomorrow. If they don't, I have to drive to and from work with no handbrake for four days and go to a funeral before I can get time to replace them.

Reply to
Tunku