Rear door stays locked.

Guys, how am I going to fix this one?

My wife has a '98 Renault Clio, and was parked with all the doors locked. A passenger in the back tried to open her door, but being a bit slow didn't understand that you just need to lift up on the lock to unlock it before opening the door. My wife operated the central locking to help out, but our passenger was still pulling on the handle at the time. All the other doors opened, but this one will not open at all anymore, the child locks are off.

I've managed to get the interior trim off and can see all the levers and stuff, the lock is still jammed. I can't remove the lock because I need to open the door to undo the screws.

Has anybody been in this situation? What did you do? Will it fail its MOT because of this?

Thanks in advance!

- Lee.

Reply to
Lee Kowalkowski

Happens all the time. Have you locked and unlocked the central locking since this happened? Should sort itself out if you do that. (Sorry if that seems obvious, but it's worth asking). I wouldn't start dismantling locks unless it's a last resort because a: There's probably an easier way b: You'll find it's a PITA c: If the lock's knackered you can't fix it.

You might find that being unabl;e to move the levers from the inside is deliberate as a defence against slim-jims etc.

Rob

Reply to
Robert R News

Of course I tried operating the central locking!

I have kind-of sorted it now. I took out the lock out of the other rear door so I could take a closer look at it. After playing with it for a while I found a hole in the lock's casing where I could open the door if I lifted a sprung-catch with a small screwdriver.

Then I performed the mirror-image manoeuvre on the stuck car door lock, with the lock in-situ, without the liberty of being able to look all round it with the anti-theft shields still on.

I managed to open the stuck door anyway and subsequently remove the lock. I've replaced it with a manual / non-central locking lock from an old Renault 19 at the scrapyard.

Just need to f>

Reply to
Lee Kowalkowski