Rear shock - top mount broken - safe to drive?

Car is a Kia Sedona.

Trying to get hold of the parts at the moment, and get my mechanic to fix but I've got to drive 200 miles to customer and not sure if I can get it fixed beforehand.

Looking at rear shock, it looks like the top bit including a rubber bit is lose and the shock is rattling around. When driving, it gets really rattly.

I guess whats happening is when I hit a bump I'm not getting the dampening I should get.

It seems to be handling OK at the moment but I dont want to drive if its unsafe....

Reply to
paulfoel

It is unsafe to drive that far, slowly and carefully to a local garage will probably be OK

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I wouldn't.

I'd slowly drive it home or to a garage to be fixed, but wouldn't go more than maybe 5 miles ...

As you know the suspension to be defective it's possible that if you're in an accident the Police would take a dim view of it, to say nothing of your insco ...

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I know someone who did a track day at Castle Combe in an MX5 with knackered top mounts - he didn't die.

Reply to
SteveH

I've finished an enduro on a Honda XR twin shock, with only one shock, though this was the bottom mount fecked .. but I wouldn't drive on the road with it .. I didn't die either, but neither did I win. I suspect the not winning had little to do with a fecked shock mount. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I've got to drive 200 miles to customer and not sure if I can get it fixed beforehand.

lose and the shock is rattling around. When driving, it gets really rattly.

Has the top rubber bush worn out?? not the top of the shock broken. get either a new shock or replacement rubber bush.

Reply to
Rob