Rear spring change gone wrong

I tried changing the wifes rear spring today on her golf using halfords laser spriong compressors as I had no one to come and push down on the wheel to help get the spring out. Took an age trying to use the compressors to do it with a spanner as I didn't have a 21mm or 22mm ? to hand as I so generously lent it to a friend who moved recently and never gave it back!

Anyway after attaching the compressor to the old spring to get it out, I dropped the damper thing aswell. I got it out ok after a whopping 45 minutes!! (I was tired and a tad irritiated from a strop from my daughter 15 is a pain in the arse age lol although I was no saint.

Anyway I attached the compressor to the new ones and compressed it up and bit to get it in, but the washer on the spriong compressor ripped ito the material of the spring exposing the bare metal!!! which I guess when it gets wet it will rust to death. Also the top mount was put in ok but when I came to have a look end of the spring was not on the stopped bit when you swap them over if you see what I mean ?

As I've damaged the coating would it be best to start again and go and buy another spring ? or just leave it till it corrodes a bit :) get some use out of it them change it. (no idea how quick or shirt that will take to get rusty, hmmm sounds wrong I think I better replace it)

I decided to call it a day and left the other side.

Somedays I'm just all thumbs!

Reply to
munki

just ignore the bare bit the paint falls off in time anyway. The ends should be in the right places though.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

tell me if ive read this wrong but you tried changing the spring without removing the whole shocker from the vehicle ?

Reply to
reg

"reg" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'm more intrigued by what he thinks "pushing down on the wheel" is going to achieve.

Reply to
Adrian

thats what made me post.

Reply to
reg

It's not a Macpherson strut, you have to pull down on the wheel to get the spring out as the bushes stop it rotating freely &, as is rather necessary for them to work, they're springy.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Sorry I should have stated the vehicle Reg, its a mk4 golf where the spring is not on the shock on the rear.

Reply to
munki

As it flexes down it gives you an extra 2"'s to slide the spring in. So says the VW techs advice for doing it myself... but I didn;t manage to get anyone to help me out.

Reply to
munki

But as I had no other pair of hands I removed the wheel for better access and managed to push down enough to get enough space to slide it on.

Reply to
munki