Rear Wiper - Dead ?

Happy New Year and a safe year's motoring to all My rear wiper was frozen to window the other day and I inadvertently swiched it on ..... it now doesn't work. I've checked the fuses and all ok . I am now thinking that the motor itself has burnt out - is that likely as I would have thought that the fuse would have protected that from happening ? I haven't checked the larger relay type fuses - is it likely to be one of those ? I did detect slight movement when I tried it again after checking fuses etc. How easy / expensive would it be to fit a new motor ? Thanks for any advice Toyota Avensis estate vvti 1.8 2002

Reply to
andy

wiper motor burn out is very rare. most likely is that the spindle bit that sticks through the body has seized, get some thin oil around the bit that needs to turn and leave it for a few days, then try it it, if it still doesn't go then carefully assist it to move while someone else turns the wiper on for you, you will be able to feel if there is any movement at all and help it to go, once it is moving work more oil in the spindle. next step if that doesn't work is dismantle the motor assy, or just get a secondhand one that works.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks for speedy reply - will do as you suggest and report back if works

Cheers

Reply to
andy

Its possible the motors got a thermal cut out which might take twenty minutes to reset itself

Reply to
steve robinson

If it has seized you will find the lights dim when you operate the wiper switch. If it doesn't you probably have a fuse/wiring problem.

Reply to
Thomas

Many thanks for all replies - now sorted . Mr C was right on this one

- a good oiling did the trick . Strange how things were in limbo - motor was not powerful enough to operate wiper but didn't blow fuse ?

Reply to
andy
[...]

He usually is...

Not really. The fuse may well have been perhaps 20A; this would probably be less than the stalled current of the motor.

Fuses in general, and not just in the automotive world, are primarily to protect wiring and wiring accessories; they are not usually sensitive enough to protect devices.

As another poster suggested, wiper motors often have thermal sensors in the winding to prevent burnout; this would operate long before any fuse.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

As i said earlier its possible that a thermal or load cutout operated similar to the way electric windows cut out if they meet resistance before total closeure , the cost of the part is so small versus replaceing burnt out wiper motors under warranty its well worth putting in

Reply to
steve robinson

most modern rear wipers are powered by an intermittent wipe relay, so the motor gets a one second pulse to start it, the self park takes over once the motor has moved enough, it then parks and waits for its next pulse. So a seized rear wiper motor just gets a second of power every 10 seconds or so, and therefore doesn't get enough juice to overheat and burn out.

Reply to
Mrcheerful