Rearended then two weeks later 2nd gear goes ?

Hi all,

Short version:

Is it possible to get gearbox damage from a rear-end shunt that did not cause any cracking of a bumper. Bumper was pushed in about 1.5 inches on one side though and now when passengers are in the back there is a noise going over uneven surfaces.

-------------------------------

Long version:

I got rear-ended by a Zafira, whilst about to pull away at at crossing.

I didn't notice any damage at the time but exchanged details just in case.

A couple of weeks later I noticed my rear bumper was pushed in about 1 inch and a half on one side, so I called insurance people.

Then a week later someone cut me up, annoyed I gave the car a bit-o-welly (which I don't usually do) and the gearbox made a loud noise and then all power disappeared. 2nd gear now is like being in neutral.

I've been told by my mechanic that its quite likely the shunt precipitated the gearbox damage and I should tell my insurance. However as I didn't raise this at the time I have to take it to a coachworks shop first for primary assessment. They told my insurance company that the gearbox is at the front so the would have expected more rear end damage to affect my gearbox. (I wouldn't have thought that mattered as the force travels through the transmission?)

I'm worried they may have prejudiced my claim, and they might not know what they are talking about.

Anywhere I can gather some info in case I have a battle of wills with my insurance?

My car is a 1994 BMW 320i coupe. (Likely to be one less BMW on the road at this rate - especially as new ones are fugly)

Cheers, Lordy

Reply to
lordy

Unlikely with such minor damage. If the diff carrier was pushed in so that the propshaft put pressure on the gearbox then maybe. I think it's just a coincidence.

Reply to
adder1969

lordy ( snipped-for-privacy@lordy.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

In neutral or first, then, unlikely to be second.

No real damage, then - just a bit of plastic bent, maybe a bracket or two

- very unlikely to be any sheetmetal.

Think about how much accident damage they see in any given week.

Pure coincidence.

Reply to
Adrian

Synchro on second is always the first thing to go when a car is hooned around... what's the OPs driving like?

Not so sure about that - modern plastic bumpers spring back a *long* way after a bump - I've seen a few where the bumper looked untouched but the brackets and bodywork were a right mess underneath.

But it would be obvious from a look underneath.

Reply to
PC Paul

PC Paul ( snipped-for-privacy@munge.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Given that it's a 12yo BMW coupe, with mileage unmentioned, that's exactly my suspicion - it isn't necessarily the OP's driving (he does say he "rarely hoons") but previous owners.

I've seen plenty where the bumper's an inch or two awry, and no sheet metal damage.

True.

I'd have thought any substantial rear impact would have damaged the exhaust and engine mounts before the gearbox, or would lead to oil leaks.

Reply to
Adrian

Ah well, you guys are not telling me what I want to hear :)

162K mostly motorway miles. I was a bit of an idiot when I first got the car (at 87K 5 years ago) but I became sensible the last couple of years, more relaxing and saves money. (26Mpg town cycle used to be 21)

Anyway, assuming I cant afford to change cars for a while yet, what is the best approach to fix. 2nd hand gearbox would be an unknown quantity. Is reconditioning viable on this age of car. Worth about 1K and dropping...

Cheers, Lordy

Reply to
lordy

In message , Adrian writes

Hmm. Mate of mine got fobbed off with "nothing to do with the accident, mate" on his 3-series:

Reply to
Steve Walker

What did the external damage look like?

Cheers, Lordy

Reply to
lordy

(at 87K 5 years ago)

I lost 2nd gear after a some spirited driving, at about 160k miles. Mine got stuck in second then when free'd up wouldn't go in properly. I bought a used gearbox for 150 (might have been less), a clutch kit for a 100 and did the work myself in a weekend. But for a while I just drove around without 2nd gear.

Reply to
adder1969

Didn't see it, it was still in the garage last time I saw him. I think he had front end damage, but whether the damage to the mounts was from a direct push to the engine and gearbox I don't know. May just have been the jolt of the impact.

Reply to
Steve Walker

These two statements just don't seem to match!!!

Reply to
Dr. Compynei