Rebuilt Corsa keyfob- No programming needed!

If anyone is interested these are a few pictures of the project to rebuild a Corsa keyfob. Total cost was =A318.50 and importantly NO PROGRAMMING AT ALL WAS NEEDED.

The original fob had demised in true Corsa fashion. In the picture you can see the perished rubber and the switches after they were removed from the pcb.

A fob was obtained from ebay which as it was listed as "brand new" I went to =A316 +=A32.10 postage for.

When the fob got here it didn't work! Suitable feedback about yet another ebay rip off artist left but decided to carry on and try to rebuild key as the body of the replacement and its buttons did indeed seem as new. I suspect that it was faulty and was replaced by Vauxhall and the faulty one stuck on ebay.

With the fob opened up the bit I was dreading. Could I get the old push button switches off or not?

To my suprise, a quick dab with a VERY SMALL soldering iron at each end of the switch and they fell off!

Removing the new ones from their pcb was just as easy and went on the old pcb no problem.

Put it all back together using the new rubber housing and fingers crossed X! IT WORKED PERFECTLY!

The equivalent of a brand new keyfob for just =A318.50 with no programming at all needed.

I'd only advise trying this if you are experienced with surface mount soldering or have nothing to lose. I.e. don't blame me if you f*ck it up...

Pictures:-

1 shows the fob in bits after the butons removed the arrows point to the switch solder pads on the pcb

2 shows the perished switches after removal from the pcb

3 show my fingers holding a switch. You can just make out the sm solder connector.

This account accepts incoming mail for any comments.

Reply to
Just Another Corsa Fan

That picture looks like a bum holding it. Are you sure it wasn't your rear end?

Reply to
David R

LOL

Reply to
Just Another Corsa Fan

Ohh - how cheeky.

Reply to
LeakiestWink

I've just sniffed the switch and it definitely wasn't me arse.....

Reply to
No One At All

Nice work, and thanks for the pics as well.

Mike

The original fob had demised in true Corsa fashion. In the picture you can see the perished rubber and the switches after they were removed from the pcb.

A fob was obtained from ebay which as it was listed as "brand new" I went to £16 +£2.10 postage for.

When the fob got here it didn't work! Suitable feedback about yet another ebay rip off artist left but decided to carry on and try to rebuild key as the body of the replacement and its buttons did indeed seem as new. I suspect that it was faulty and was replaced by Vauxhall and the faulty one stuck on ebay.

With the fob opened up the bit I was dreading. Could I get the old push button switches off or not?

To my suprise, a quick dab with a VERY SMALL soldering iron at each end of the switch and they fell off!

Removing the new ones from their pcb was just as easy and went on the old pcb no problem.

Put it all back together using the new rubber housing and fingers crossed X! IT WORKED PERFECTLY!

The equivalent of a brand new keyfob for just £18.50 with no programming at all needed.

I'd only advise trying this if you are experienced with surface mount soldering or have nothing to lose. I.e. don't blame me if you f*ck it up...

Pictures:-

1 shows the fob in bits after the butons removed the arrows point to the switch solder pads on the pcb

2 shows the perished switches after removal from the pcb

3 show my fingers holding a switch. You can just make out the sm solder connector.

This account accepts incoming mail for any comments.

Reply to
Mike

Off course, the easiest option is not to use your finger nails to work the buttons. That way the buttons don't get chewed up in the first place.

Reply to
moray

Thanks Mike,

Here's a much better macro shot of the switch/button after removal showing the soldered connector.

The pink stuff is my fingerprint.. (Not me arse!!)

It really would be nice to source these switches/buttons. Anyone got any ideas?

Camera is a Fuji S9500.

Can be contacted at:-

Dave - snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Just Another Corsa Fan

In the UK, you can probably get them from Farnells

It might take a bit of searching to find exactly the right one amongst the hundreds of different types and sizes.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

Awww - not while I'm eating, thanks !

Reply to
LeakiestWink

Serves you right you should not have sold all those taxis

Leslie

It was costing me more to keep getting keys made for the taxis than what I was taking in fares! Vauxhall charge up to =A3160 a throw for one!

Cost me =A318 and that was only becuase I was fussy and waited for a brand new one. There's a bloody good and easy earner waiting if anyone wants to bother. I've even done what Vauxhall said couldn't be done and copied a key.

Reply to
Just Another Residents Fan