recon bumper advice

Got myself a bumper from a scrapy. Has some scuffs and dings but nothing a bitof bumper fill won't cure.

Simple question as its in finished form e.g. all the lacquer on it and I need to rub that down with what grade wet and dry ?

then fix damaged bits with filler and rub down again ...

Just needs some advice on the wet and dry bit ?

Reply to
James

For a final finish? You don't want to be using sandpaper. You want to be using cutting compound and a buffer. Farecla G3 and G10.

Reply to
Conor

So I don't want to be using wet and dry paper ? I need compound ?

the guy at the bodyshop said a boring hour of rubbing it down with wet and dry paper fix all the damage, then use 1200 grit on the final rub down and then bring it in for primer and topcat.

Reply to
James

Sorry, your original post didn't make it clear which stage you were on about.

The compunding is for the final finish. Pre-primer, you don't need to be going any higher than 800. 1200 is a bit prone to peeling IMO.

Reply to
Conor

Ahhh I see. Ok thanks for the advice. I've got a few sheets of 800 grit still from my last mis-adventure :)

Reply to
James

I've been through this in another post recently. Why on earth would you buy a half knackered bumper to replace a knackered one? Get a decent one.

Reply to
Doki

The one I have is cracked and busted everywhere and I found this one cheap and needs a little TLC ... probably should have got a better one for a few pounds more looking back. It does look like a lot of unescessary work now. Oh well next time (if ever) will not make the same mistake.

Reply to
James