Recyle or fresh air?

Apologies for maybe what could be considered a daft question.

Why do cars have a fresh air / recyle air option. In 10 years I've been driving I've never even turned mine to recyle. What's it's purpose and is it really necessary?

Reply to
MickS

Imagine driving through Dartford or even a Mersey tunnel on a steaming hot day with the aircon on.

Do you

a) Do nothing and fill the car with cool toxic fumes?

b)Turn the fan off and get hot?

c) Turn the recycle on and breath nice chilled unpolluted air with a draught to boot?

You are driving along and spot a stack of tyres on fire in a field ahead:-

Do you

a) Do nothing and fill the car with cool toxic fumes?

b)Turn the fan off and get hot?

c) Turn the recycle on and breath nice chilled unpolluted air with a cool breeze?

Someone has just farted in the car, do you

a) Do nothing and breath nice chilled unpolluted air with a cool breeze?

b)Turn the fan off and get hot/puke up from the noxious stink

c) Turn the recycle on and breath nice chilled fart polluted air with a cool breeze?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

Isn't it handy if you are stuck in a tunnel .. saves breathing in all the fumes?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Also sprach "MickS" :-

You don't live somewhere with traffic jams and smoky buses to get stuck behind, I can tell!

Tunnels, passing stubble burning (well, not that anymore) passing farms who're muck-spreading. All good reasons to switch to recirc for a few minutes.

What tickles me is seeing Corsas (and it's usually a Corsa) with all the windows misted up 'cos they've left it on recirc.

Reply to
Guy King

It lets you heat the interior up quicker & keep smells out. FWIW my car doesn't have a recirc setting

Reply to
DuncanWood

Or the Gotthard...

Only I am allowed to fart in MY car...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

DuncanWood ( snipped-for-privacy@dmx512.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I bet it does. If it has climate control, it probably does it automatically.

Reply to
Adrian

Mine has windows, open for fresh air, closed for not-so-fresh.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

So what use is it without air con?

Reply to
MickS

MickS ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Just the same. But without the chilling effect.

Reply to
Adrian

Also sprach "Tim S Kemp" :-

"D'yer mind if I smoke?" "No - do you mind if I fart? I tried to give up once, but I gained a lot of weight and I really got the urge to light one up after sex". (Steve Martin, many years ago)

Reply to
Guy King

Sewage works near my parents - enough to turn all but the strongest stomach some days that place.

I was trying to work out, for no obvious reason, the other day what would be the quickest way to dry out the interior of the car on a cold wet day. Would it be to whack the heater on max get the interior air very hot to soak up the moisture then open all the windows? Is there a more effective aircon method?

Reply to
Johnny

Also sprach "Johnny" :-

I used to live in Hounslow. Mogden Lane sewage works rarely bothered us but visiting friends who lived a mile closer was not something you did on a hot summer's day.

Reply to
Guy King

Reply to
John

snipped-for-privacy@spamspamchipsandspamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:Zzpqd.25071$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

On any damp day you will see someone who doesn't understand it and has all the windows dripping in condensation (they probably have the rear fog light on as well)

Reply to
John

A/C on. Heater max. Recirc off. Fan max.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

"John" wrote >

And certainly the front fogs at the first hint of gloom. Is it that they leave them on all the time or that they are of inferior intellect?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

SWMBO's corsa steams up even when not recirculating...seems to be a design fault! it is most annoying.

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

I'm closer than you think ;)

Reply to
MickS

I don't think either option is mutually exclusive.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc