Releasing rear brakes

I've have several cars including the present one, that suggests you can insert a screwdriver though the backplate, lift the ratchet away from the adjuster and zip, the drum falls off.

I have yet to have any success with this method, invariably waggling away aimlessly in space and eventually resorting to levering the drum off.

Am I missing something obvious or does it not really work in practice. I only ask now because I want the drums off again tomorrow and thought I might save myself some aggravation

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Thank goodness drum brakes are dying out, that was always the worst thing about them, getting the drum off. On the ones I had to take off, it was worth sacrificing a screwdriver by making a V in the blade so it didn't slip off the ratchet so easy. A good torch or even better a tiny bulb on the end of a thin cable inserted inside the drum through the adjustment hole helps to make life easy. Also release the adjuster much more than you think is enough so the shoes clear any wear lip on the drum.

Reply to
SteveB

yes it does work, what car is it ? if the wheels are held on with bolts, take the wheel bolts out get a small torch and look through the hole find the adjuster and then stick your screw driver in to lift the adjuster.

Reply to
reg

It's a Rover and unfortunately they're nuts but I'll try the torch idea but I have to admit I'm not at all confident. Thanks though for the encouragement.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

i have a rover myself and the drums should "fall" off, possibly a light tap with a hammer, but nomally not a problem.

Reply to
reg

Rubber Mallet. Hit very hard. Repeatedly.

Reply to
gazzafield

They're not dying out as most handbrake arrangements still use a drum brake. You want to adjust the adjuster not "lift the ratchet off the adjuster" but you have to know which way to go. Sometimes they can be a bit stuck.

Reply to
adder1969

I kow Rover's aren't the most wonderful cars in the world but torching it and hitting it repeatedly with a mallet are possibly a little extreme.

I'll get my coat.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick