Removal of spark plugs

When removing spark plugs do you need to disconnect the negative perminal of the battery ?

Any advice on changing spark plugs ? other than not threadding it :)

Reply to
BigToe

No. Just make sure the ignition is switched off.

Make certain that you know which lead goes to which plug before you remove them.

Don't remove the leads by pulling on the wire, only pull the cap.

Use a proper spark plug socket.

Don't use an extension any longer than neccesary

Keep the socket absolutely in line with the plug to avoid snapping the plug off.

Double check the new plug is the correct type.

Check the plug gap with a feeler gauge.

If as I do you use copaslip or another grease on the threads, don't let it get on to any part of the plug other than the thread or plug seating.

If possible, tighten using a torque wrench set to the correct value for your vehicle.

If a torque wrench is not available, tighten by hand, then a further quarter turn if the plug has a sealing washer, or an eighth of a turn if it seals on a taper seat.

If you want to start maintaining your own car, consider checking if a local college has short courses.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I read that you should use dielectric grease on the ceramic part of the spark plug, to seal the plug to the wire boot. Where the heck do you find that stuff ? Also advises on using an anti seive lube on the thread of the spark plug.

Reply to
BigToe

No.

Take off just one lead at a time unless you've numbered them first. Keep the socket and extension in line with the plug so you don't snap the top off because they can undo suddenly and take you by surprise. Don't overtighten them when you put them back/replace them.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Why? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You could, but just making sure it's clean and dry and the boot is in good nick will do.

Maplin, RS, farnell?

Copaslip. Like Chris Whelan said- above, on the threads only. Don't use too much.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

*DO* *DO* *DO* I repeat *DO* *DO* *DO* number them or you *WILL* get in Shit Street.
Reply to
Gee Whizz

It's hardly rocket science to get them back on in the right order even if you do f*ck it up, though.

Reply to
SteveH

I don't even have a problem with 8 leads. (9 if you include king lead)

Reply to
Pete M

9 is for amateurs. I have 10......

But I do have 2 distributors, which simplifies things.

Especially when one doesn't appear to be firing at the moment. Reckon it's the rotor arm, so I'd better dig out my dremel.

Reply to
SteveH

"Pete M" wrote in message news:f3kl0l$cc1$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

Wow.

How many leads do you reckon you could handle?

Be honest now.

Reply to
R D S

If it's an ancient car with a mechanical distributor, disturbing the LT side

*could* cause a plug to spark.

If it's a modern car with electronic ignition, unintentional partial disconnection of a connector *could* cause damage to electronic components.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Great stuff, have printed that out :)

Not sure what type of spark plugs are in the car yet. Do you have any referece photos showing the difference of the sealing washer and taper seat type?

Reply to
BigToe

Gee Whizz ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Pffft. The one coming out that side of the coil goes to the cylinder on that side. The one coming out the other side of the coil goes to the other cylinder.

What's difficult about that?

Reply to
Adrian

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :