Removing Car Radio on Vauxhall Vectra 2.0DTi on a 53 reg plate

I took the battery out of my friend's Vauxhall Vectra 2.0DTi with 53 reg plate car and now the radio is in Safe mode and requires the security code. The car security pass card is missing and the original main dealer that first sold it as new no longer holds the data on their computer.

My local Vauxhall dealer wants £35 to remove the radio and get the serial number to check it is original to the car before getting the data from Vauxhall head office. I am prepared to pay this if necessary but is it easy to slip the radio out as a DIY job to read the serial number as the there are loads of online services that claim to get the code for you cheaply.

Any comments welcome

Graham

Reply to
Graham Brooker

Googling seems to suggest it just needs the "U" shaped tools available from pretty much any car parts place; you may need to remove four grub screws from the front panel in order to insert the tool.

(If you're a cheap skate, I've seen it suggested that you buy the tool from Halfords, remove the radio in the car park, then carefully repackage the tools for a refund! Seems a bit Pikey to me...)

If you post full details as to the make, model and serial number of the unit here, you might find someone can get the code for you.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan