Removing cylinder head gasket Vauxhall Astra W reg 1.6 8v

Is it feasible just to (after removing cam belt, head bolts, exhaust downpipe and cam housing) just to lift the head clear, to change the head gasket. Without undoing all the pipes, electrics etc.

Or am I just being to lazy.

Reply to
boombangabang

Yes, you can do it, and yes, you are being too lazy, but you may not be able to clean up all the surfaces properly or check that the head is good/needs skimming. I did it once on a Rover something, but I managed to get enough room to clean that up enough. Nowadays I would not bother even trying, the extra time to disconnect all the right bits is very little really, and you can then do the job properly and reliably.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Once did this to a Escort 1.3 cvh many moons ago on the M6 at the side of the road took me 20 minuites. all was ok. Not worth it now though

Reply to
Motorola

Did you carry spare headgaskets in the boot then?

Reply to
gazzafield

In message , gazzafield writes

No need..... you just fabricate a new one from a cornflakes packet using the old gasket as a template.

;)

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Of course, silly me.

Reply to
gazzafield

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, boombangabang typed: | Is it feasible just to (after removing cam belt, head bolts, exhaust | downpipe and cam housing) just to lift the head clear, to change the | head gasket. Without undoing all the pipes, electrics etc. | | Or am I just being to lazy.

My father in law did with his Astra and he seems to know what he is doing, on that evidence I would say don't be lazy.:-)

Reply to
Baldoni XXV REX ROMANORUM

"gazzafield" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Everyone knows that :)