Removing minor scratches from windscreens?

Hi,

I got some grit trapped under one of my wiper blades and now have a shallow scratch mark in an arc across the screen. I can see it and feel it with a fingernail but it isn't very deep. Is there any way to remove or reduce this?

I asked in a local windscreen centre but they just wanted to replace the whole screen.

Thanks for any ideas.

John Smith.

Reply to
John Smith

I would've thought that a windscreen place could've polished it out. It's not covered on insurance is it?

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

You can polish scratches out with jeweller's rouge - very fine abrasive. Whether this would be appropriate for you I don't know because if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail I would call that 'deep'.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

The message from "John Smith" contains these words:

Somewhere recently I've seen a glass polishing kit which'll take the worst of it out. Maplin, perhaps.

Reply to
Guy King

What's the best (cheapest) "home remedy"? I managed to get a few scratches when de-icing my car a while ago. Not very deep, but in driver's line of vision. It's a 17-yr-old car so the windscreen's not perfect to start with...

Reply to
Helen Page

I've got a few too, but I've just learnt to live with them :-(

17 years old though :-o
Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Heavy brick and fully comp. insurance.

50 quid later you have an immaculate screen.
Reply to
SteveH

Yes, but how old's your car?

Rob Graham