Removing Sellotape marks from the body

Ok I made the mistake... Left a few posters on my van stuck with sellotape over summer, took the poster out but have 4-5 rectangular sellotape marks on all sides of my Van. The colour of the Van is white. Question - How do I get this dirty, black, sticky, sellotape marks out with minimum effort? While talking about Vans (I know it is a newsgroup to do with cars - sorry) does any one know if a thing like a Haynes manual exists for Vans. I need to service a 2000 Mercedes Benz sprinter (Diesel).

Thanks

JM

Reply to
JM

Careful, you'll get Pete (astravanman) excited - tears of joy running down his leg....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Nail varnish remover. If that doesn't shift it completely- T Cut. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Isn't nail varnish remover Acetone? And isn't that a bad idea on paintwork?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The message from "Tim S Kemp" contains these words:

At the van - or the idea of Sellotape all over his body?

Reply to
Guy King

You'd need a *few* yards of tape to do that. Trust me on this.

JB

Reply to
JB

white spirit and elbow grease - although some folk remove labels by soften up old messes like labels with a hairdryer to warm up the glue bits before peeling off ands then using white spirit.

Reply to
LittleJon

lighter fluid from the cans for Zippo style lighters or white spirit. Don't use acetone, MEK or nail narnish remover.

Reply to
Chris Street

JB ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Oh, *PLEASE* - Save us!

Reply to
Adrian

ISTR WD40 is the stuff to use.

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

"ail varnish remover.

Not the modern stuff. Doesn't even smell of pear drops (remember them?) DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Petrol should shift it.

Reply to
SimonJ

Anything thin and slightly oily. Paraffin, diesel, heating oil, WD40 etc.

-- Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Dave Baker

Which is more or less what you get in a Zippo lighter filler - just easier to clean the residue off than tank petrol.....

Reply to
Chris Street

Isopropanol will leave even less of one.

Reply to
JohnR

Well... don't let your wife use sellotape next time! Get some comfy padded handcuffs, you silly bugger!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Ross

just use car wax - it'll rub off

Reply to
Steven Templeton

The message from "Dave Baker" contains these words:

Esther Rantzen?

Reply to
Guy King

=============== Try: 'sticky stuff remover'

One source:

*&id=75600673&brmd=consumer>

Watch the wrap in the above.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

[snip]

Turpentine Paraffin or Methylated spirits are the most common choice. Acetone, Petrol or Cellulose thinners can only reliably be used on original factory baked paintwork, otherwise use "panel-wipe" available from paint outlets, this will safely remove 99% of all residues even on freshly painted surfaces.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull