Removing sprayed fence treatment mist from car (paint + plastics)

I used a sprayer to apply some fence treatment over the weekend, but I didn't bargain on the distance that the mist it generated would travel, nor that our car was probably too close to it!

As a result, I discovered on Sunday that our windscreen had lots of small feint spots all over it, upon further looking I noticed the paintwork did too. Just looks like very small dried water marks. Washers wouldn't remove it from the window, nor did a run through a car wash.

In the end I cleaned all the glass carefully with white spirit and gave the windows a wash down afterwards. Now the glass is fine.

My concern now is to the paintwork (and plastic trim, including (I believe) plastic headlights (it's a metallic blue Mk2 Ford Focus). I'd like to get this sorted ASAP. It's not too obvious, but when you look closely, you can see the 'watermarks'.

I suspect that using white spirit on the paintwork could be bad - and I would think that using it on the plastic, particularly the headlights, would be very bad! (I remember the effect of white spirit on clear plastic when making plastic models as a kid - it turned it cloudy/opaque).

Certainly on the glass, a lick of my finger and some firm (but gentle) rubbing would remove a spot, but a wet or dry cloth wouldn't (until I put white spirit on it - and then it came off without any difficulty or pressure).

Any suggestions as to what I should use? It was a creosote style treatment (rather than the paint stuff) and the sprayer said to use white spirit to clean out.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

Meguiars clay kit if you want something specifically for cars, but TBH I'd use white spirit on everything that's not plastic.

Reply to
Doki

Can't help you specifically, but having melted the headlight of my Mk1 Focus with carb cleaner, I would advise caution!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

WD40 on the plastics , tcut on the paintwork , let the wd40 soak in for half an hour then it should polish off without sending your plastics a funny colour

Reply to
steve robinson

You could do as they suggest with carpet cleaners and test it somewhere inconspicuous like under the bonnet. I would suspect that white spirit is not going to do much damage to any plastics, I've yet to find any that it does damage. YMMV though. Or as I read somewhere else, this advice may be worth no more than you paid for it.

Reply to
malc