Renault 1.9 Diesel, non turbo.Glowplug problems.

Hi I have a Suzuki based vehicle that uses a Renault 1.9 non turbo diesel. It starts OK and more often than not runs OK too. However, sometimes, whilst running, the glowplug light comes on and the engine starts to misfire badly. Sometimes the light goes out and if that happens the engine picks up and seems to run properly again. Sometimes the fault re occurs with the same consequences. The dealer has changed the throttle pot and initially this seemed to have cured the problem. Unfortunately it happened again today so I am back to square one. Please can anyone suggest a cure and can anyone send me a copy of the circuit diagram. I suspect the glowplug timer is simply activating when it should not. Help please. Martin Cross

Reply to
martin

EGR valve? the glowplug light is just registering as a fault indicator

Reply to
Dieseldes

Reply to
martin

Depending on the type of injection system, if it's electronicaly controled as all the recent renault engines are, including those supplied to other manufacturers IIRC, The Glowplug light acts as a fault indicator, if it comes on when the engine is running it's because the engine ecu is registering a fault, which is why I mentioned the EGR as it is very common failure , and gives exactly the symptoms you describe. If the glowplugs were coming on when the engine is running you wouldn't notice, apart from having to replace them more often! remember they carry on glowing for a short while after the engine has started. They certainly wouldn't cause the engine to misfire.

Mind you it would help of you mentioned the type and year of vehicle, saves so much guess work!

Des

Reply to
Des

Reply to