Renault 19 RN 1.4E OVERHEAT Advice Please

Ok I am a novice, last worked on Ford 100e Engine back in the 60's After service in the RN Company car from 78 to this month I know a little but it is old

Above car is all I have to travel daily in my new employ 32m each way

Engine over heated, no loss of coolant, turned out to be, by trial and error the thermostat had seized shut.

I had no access to a new thermostat, at the time and it is mounted on the cylinder head, so I removed it and found it is part of the seal to put it back

I basically sawed through the thing and ended up with a seal to put it back together but open flow, so the engine runs fine but cold

I bought a replacement thermostat today, though it does not have the rubber seal on. (the supplier showed me several to prove that was how they come and I have to remove the rubber seal off the old one and use that)

My problem is that No transport No work, and I am sure if I was to try to remove the rubber ring seal and it was then damaged, then I could not fit the new thermostat and I would be knackered

Am I ok to continue running with a continuous open flow , running cold apart from freezing my balls off in the early morning run? As I can not take the risk of ending up off road because I damaged the old rubber seal

As you can see by my history I am a doddering oldie so please be gentle I am willing to learn and have a go (necessity)

Reply to
Jimbo

find a Renault dealer and buy a gasket/seal. running with no thermostat is bad in the long term

Reply to
mrcheerful

Cheers I did not know what effect it would have had in the long term, though it is running fine at the moment Must get it sorted soonest then

Reply to
Jimbo